Performance at a Budget
09 Feb 2013
Reviewed On: flipkart.com
Overall: I placed the order from a VERY remote village in Maharashtra, and got delivered in less than 48 hours(!) after placing the order [placed order at 6:50 PM on 3rd Feb '13 and got the package at 11:30 AM on 5th Feb '13 *wink wink*].
Okay, coming back to the performance of this particular sweet-piece, just few words, IT GETS YOUR WORK DONE.
Don't expect it to perform blazing fast that pops into your eyes. The device performs well in most of the situations.
1. Web browsing is a breeze with evident lag while loading REALLY heavy flash pages (like Wordpress themes website, Apple website) and while switching between them (sometimes even 2~3 seconds).
2. Daily work is as good as any over-powered iCore processors.
3. High Definition (1080p/i) movies play without any lag, no matter how many times you are pausing the movie or tweaking with the controls (testing done on VLC, tests include flipping the video 360degree, playing with equalizer, fast forwarding the video and zooming the video). There was ABSOLUTELY NO frame drop while doing all that. Also in another test, two 720p movies were played side by side, the play was natural smooth again with no lag.
4. The LCD display is very sharp! 1366 x 768 pixel resolution. The exact same resolution is found on most of the 15.6-inch laptops, so the PPI on this beauty is 135 at 11.6-inches, as compared to 100 at 15.6-inches. If you previously had a larger laptop and you come to use this, you'll know what I'm talking about.
5. The battery backup while moderately working (web surfing, editing documents, playing songs, installing occasional software, no video) with Wi-Fi on is just above 3:30 hours, which is not that good (compared to Macbook Air 11-inch at 5 hours; comparing with Macbook because I have one) but is commendable given the 4-cell power stick it has. I'd have particularly loved a bigger battery (6-cell is the norm) and it's absence is the only reason I'm giving this device one star less that the full sweep.
6. The built is solid, not as solid as made from metal, but it feels like it can take a few drops and then some. The plastic does not creak or make noises when pressed, unlike many other plastic made devices. It is light and easy to carry around and never feels like you are carrying something in your arms.
7. Tried playing Prince Of Persia : The Sands Of Time, and it ran smooth at 28fps on medium settings (shadows on, anti-aliasing off, anisotropic filtering 2X) and 1280 x 720 resolution.
1. The display is glossy. I'm yet to come across a situation where I found it a problem but the screen is bright enough to take care of that. Still, I'd prefer a matte display any day. That's my personal opinion, not many of people will have a trouble with that.
2. The arrow keys are tad small. I always press other directional key while I'm not looking.
You don't really need that much power if all you work with is editing documents, web browsing, occasional videos and very rare gaming sessions. If you are looking for something which has more computational power ONLY, look else where, preferably go with core2duo in the Rs. 20K range. If all you want is a lightweight desktop/laptop replacement which is easy on the pocket and above average in performance, look no further.
Some insights based on personal experience:
1. The laptop never gets hot enough to not be held in hands/lap, thanks to the APU by AMD. You can stop worrying about your sperm count.
2. The graphics memory is SHARED and NOT DEDICATED, as mentioned in the description. That leaves you about 1.74GB of usable RAM for CPU.
3. All the drivers are available on the ACER website, no reason to panic in case of loss of driver disk.
4. Did you know Windows 8 works flawless on this device? :D
5. The screen bends all the way to >160 degrees; great when you are lying in bed and operating.
6. The alphabet portion of keypad is well spaced, and I mean well spaced because it has the same spacing of keys as on a regular 15.6-inch laptop. The trade-off you have to make with the special keys, which are smaller, that's one compromise you have to make. But even then, it's not annoying because you understand that they have tried their best to keep you away from missing productivity skills.
7. There's some problem while installing Linux, I'm sure that problem is particularly with me only. The trackpad and brightness adjustment keys were not working while I tried a Live-Disk of Mint.
8. Overall, very happy with the purchase I made.
Thanks again Flipkart for the wonderful price-point and speedy delivery. :)
read more ▼