Chinese mobile company Xiaomi rocked the mobile world today when they announced a 310$, 1.5GHz dual-core smartphone powered by custom Android OS called MIUI (pronounced as Mee-you-Eye). Incidentally, this also becomes the first chinese handset to boast a 1.5GHz dual-core processor! The hardware specs of this phone is pretty good: 1GB RAM, 4GB ROM, Adreno 220 GPU, 1930mAH battery, A-GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, 4 inch Sharp LCD with a resolution of 480x854 pixels, 8 mega pixels camera with an aperture of f2.4 and a dual-antenna design for better reception!
In terms of dimension, the phone measures 125mm x 63mm x 11.9 mm. 12 mm thickness is not bad and weighs 149g. During the launch event, they announced that the handset will come in 7 different vivid colours with a matching battery in the same colour :)
Inspite of a stellar hardware, the highlight of the phone undoubtedly is the operating system - MIUI. MIUI is built on top of Android 2.3.5 operating system with a customized UI. The UI has shades of both iOS and Samsung TouchWiz 4.0 interface. This operating system has been getting good traction with already 500,000 users reportedly using this os! CEO of Xiaomi took specific care to talk about the reliability of the phone as they have performed extensive stress-testing on these handsets. So, what more you need? A great hardware + software combo at a super-cool affordable price...
There is no news of if and when will these handsets be made available to other parts of the world. Xiaomi handsets are set to be launched in China in 2 months time!
Specifications of MIUI One Smartphone
- Unlocked bootloader!
- Android 2.3.5 pre-loaded (MIUI ROM)
- Sharp capacitive 4 inch screen at 480 x 854 res 16:9
- Dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S3 (MSM8260)
- 4GB ROM
- 1GB RAM
- Up to 32GB Micro-SD card support
- 8MP Rear Camera
- Noise-cancelling microphone
- 1930mAH battery! +30% on standard 1500mAH
- GPS (U.S. GPS and Russian GLONASS;)
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth connectivity
- 266MHz Adreno220 GPU
- 125 * 63 * 11.9 (mm)
- GSM / WCDMA bands
- x3 Capacitive touch buttons (Menu, Desktop, Back key)
- Side USB (micro) port
- Volume button (side)
- Powerbutton (side)
- MI-Button (Customisable button for application of your choice)
- 149g weight
- Interchangable back covers in variety of different colours. (currently 7 with more to follow)
- Other “MI” Accessories to be launched such as phone stand.
Price: ?1999 (or roughly $310)