Gartner recently published a report summarizing the smartphone sales worldwide. According to Gartner, total smartphone sales in the year 2011 stood at 472 million units and accounted for 31% of all mobile device sales – meaning smartphones comprised 31% of the overall mobile phone sales. In the 4th quarter of 2011 alone, a whopping 149 million units were sold led by the strong sales iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S II.
Highlights from the report
* Apple overtook LG and became the 3rd largest smartphone maker in the world with an overall sales of 89 million units.
* Samsung is closing in on Nokia to capture the #1 position. Samsung sold 313.9 million units and Nokia sold 422.4 million units worldwide.
* ZTE and Huawei are growing very fast and sold 56.8 million units and 40.6 million units respectively.
* Research in Motion slipped to 7th position.
* Android retains the #1 slot in terms of operating system with 51% and Apple comes second with 23.8% market share.
Worldwide Mobile Device Sales to End Users by Vendor in 4Q11 (Thousands of Units)
|Company||4Q11||4Q11 Market Share (%)||4Q10||4Q10 Market Share (%)|
|Research In Motion||13,184.50||2.8||14,762.00||3.3|
Worldwide Mobile Device Sales to End Users by Vendor in 2011 (Thousands of Units)
|Company||2011||2011 Market Share (%)||2010||2010 Market Share (%)|
|Research In Motion||51,541.90||2.9||49,651.60||3.1|
Worldwide Smartphone Sales to End Users by Operating System in 4Q11 (Thousands of Units)
|Operating System||4Q11||4Q11 Market Share (%)||4Q10||4Q10 Market Share (%)|
|Research In Motion||13,184.50||8.8||14,762.00||14.6|
With Christmas just around the corner, if you were planning to upgrade your ageing smartphone or b...