Research in Motion has launched its next generation slider QWERTY-Touch screen hybrid, Torch 9800 in the Indian market. The phone is the first one from the RIM stable to run on Blackberry OS 6. Priced at a whopping Rs 35,000, the phone will be available through all operators and in the open market.
"With its new high-performance browser, powerful touch screen interface and easy-to-use BlackBerry keyboard, the highly anticipated BlackBerry Torch offers an exceptional mobile experience for both consumers and business users in India ," said Frenny Bawa, managing director (India), RIM.
The phone offers support for high-speed 3G networks around the world, includes support for Wi-Fi connectivity and features built-in GPS for location-based applications and geo-tagging.
The phone runs on BlackBerry 6 OS which integrates a new and rich WebKit-based browser that renders HTML web pages (as well as HTML email) to provide a great browsing experience.
The phone received a lukewarm response from the critics in the US as they felt that it fails to surpass Android based smartphones.
Here is a summary of the key features on the phone as listed by RIM, from an official release :
• Elegant styling, measuring approx. 4.4" (5.8" open) x 2.4" x .57" and weighing 5.68 ounces
• 3.2" 360x480 capacitive touch screen display
• 35 key full QWERTY backlit slide-out keyboard, designed to feel optimally balanced when opened for typing
• Optical trackpad that makes navigation fast and smooth
• Powerful 624 Mhz processor with 512 MB Flash memory
• 4 GB built-in memory storage plus a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 32 GB cards; a 4 GB card is included giving users 8 GB of storage out-of-the-box
• 5 MP camera with flash, continuous auto focus, image stabilization, scene modes, geo-tagging and zoom, as well as video recording at up to 640x480 resolution
• Built-in GPS for location-based applications and geo-tagging
• Wi-Fi® (802.11 b/g/n); qualifying smartphone customers can enjoy seamless connectivity to over 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots at no additional cost
• 3.5mm stereo headset jack
• Premium phone features, including voice activated dialing, speakerphone and Bluetooth® (2.1) with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets, car kits (including systems that support the Bluetooth Message Access Profile standard) and other Bluetooth accessories
• New BlackBerry® Desktop Software 6 with integrated media sync for easily syncing music, photos and videos**. It also includes Wi-Fi Music Sync, a unique feature that allows users to view their entire iTunes® or Windows Media® Player music libraries from their BlackBerry smartphone, create and edit playlists as well as select music for download. When in range of their home Wi-Fi network (or via USB), the changes are synced with iTunes or Windows Media Player and the songs are automatically downloaded to the smartphone
• Tri-band HSDPA (3G) and quad-band EDGE support for the option of voice service in more than 220 countries, data service in more than 195 countries and 3G connectivity in more than 125 countries, including Japan and South Korea
• Removable, rechargeable 1300 mAhr battery that provides approximately 5.8 hours of talk time on 3G networks or 30 hours of audio playback or 6 hours of video playback
The onset of festive season brings a slew of discounts and sales across several e-commerc...