DataWind has finally announced the commercial launch of its much-awaited Ubislate series of tablets -- UbiSlate 7+ and UbiSlate 7C – at Rs 2,999 and Rs 3,999 respectively. Both having similar specifications differ on touchscreen displays and internal memory; UbiSlate 7 has a resistive screen and offers 2GB of internal flash memory, while UbiSlate 7C touts capacitive touchscreen, along with 4GB memory.
The tablets run on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) operating system and are powered by Cortex A8 800MHz processor. The 7-inch tablets have 800x480 pixel touchscreen display, and both have GPRS and WiFi capabilities.
The UbiSlate tablets also feature embedded HD video co-processor for high quality video content; 3200 mAh battery that will deliver upto 180 minutes of usage, claims the company.
The tablets offer DataWind’s UbiSurfer browser, based on 18 international patents, that can deliver internet access on traditional GPRS networks which cover the far reaches of the globe. In India the devices will offer unlimited web-browsing using DataWind’s web delivery platform for under Rs.100/month on traditional mobile networks.
DataWind also unveiled its ecosystem of partners for providing content, applications and access:
- Aircel Ltd as its strategic operator partner to provide voice and data services on its nationwide wireless network.
- VMC Systems Ltd as its electronics manufacturing services partner
- Partnership with Yahoo! India portal, Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Cricket
- The Indian Express Group for news and analysis on the go.
- Reverie Language Technologies Pvt Ltd to provide over a dozen Indian languages including Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Punjabi/Gurmukhi and many others
- Get Jar app store for providing access to over 350,000 software applications.
- InMobi mobile ad network to help deliver applications for free to consumers
- Mango Learning solutions for game based educational modules, interactive smart books and the full CBSE curriculum
- RKS Learning Private Ltd for TestBag, the most comprehensive solution for testing and e-assessment
- Intelligia finger tracing apps to teach letter writing for toddlers
- Pixatel for utilities and games created for tablet form factors
- Poketalk for call back long distance services
- MyJobs for access to millions of job postings and resume submission
- Blueworld portal to help encouraging a socially conscience approach to the internet
Delivery of UbiSlate 7+ devices have started to consumers that have pre-booked on DataWind’s webiste, and will continue over the next several months before retail availability. Delivery of UbiSlate 7C devices will start at the end of May.
With Christmas just around the corner, if you were planning to upgrade your ageing smartphone or b...