There are very few items that I am not happy
28 Jul 2014
Reviewed On: flipkart.com
Overall: As I stated in the title of this review ... there are very few items that I am not happy with after I buy them. Unforunately, this specific laptop/netbook/Android-book is one of the items I am NOT happy with. Read on ...
First, I would like to commend Flipkart on its service. The first Lenovo A10 I received did not seem to have long-enough battery. After a brief discussion with Flipkart's "technical team" engineer, it was agreed that Flipkart should give me a replacement. The replacement arrived the next day, after the discussion. Overall: great service Flipkart. But, please ensure that the customer always gets a packed piece. If the sealing-stickers are open/etc, we, the customers, don't get a comfortable feeling of buying brand new items from Flipkart.
Now, for the notebook itself.
This notebook seemed like a dream come true for me. For long I have been playing with the Android-x86 project on some of my old netbooks. But, somehow that (Android-x86) experience was never great. And that being an open-source + free project, you cannot make demands on the project team. That said, I really wanted an Android Tablet with an attached keyboard. So I was thrilled when I saw this notebook. And seeing that it was from Lenovo (I am Thinkpad fanatic) it was like "soney pey suhaga" if you understand that Hindi phrase. :) Add even more to that: Flipkart was offering a decent discount on the price. All that meant only one thing: I had to have this notebook. And so it was ordered.
Unfortunately, I am wading in 1/2-a-million Android tablets and phones at home right now. So, unknowingly and unintentionally, I "forgot" this notebook. I opened the box only about a week or week+1/2 after I had received the notebook.
The immediate impressions after opening the box were:
* Solid construction. All components are covered inside the plastic outer shell.
* All plastic.
* VERY HEAVY for its size and functionality!!
After using it for a few days I realized this:
* Design is pathetic! The screen (rather the main "tablet") is so heavy, and the keyboard so light, that the notebook topples if you open it at 50+ degrees!
* The BIGGEST drawback of this notebook: pathetic ... and I mean ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC ... battery life. The battery on the first piece I got lasted just about 1 hour. The battery on this new piece (replacement) I got lasts just about ... 1 hour!!! What gives??? I don't know! Maybe the higher resolution screen eats up too much battery. But, the battery does not last for long. Even if I put the notebook to sleep the notebook shutsdown automatically after 4-5 hours!!! That is pathetic.
* The second biggest drawback of this notebook is the UI. This is an Android notebook with Lenovo's additions. For an unknown reason Lenovo has decided that the bottom bar needs to occupy like 5-10% of the screen. And there is no way to minimize or get rid of that bar. Mind you ... the bar exists even though the notebook has dedicated keys for "return", "home", "options", windows, system settings, etc.
So, is there anything I like about the notebook?
* I think conceptually this is a "dream come true" for me.
* The keyboard has a great set of "dedicated" keys that you can use to perform your usual android operations quickly. E.g. (already stated): "return", "home", "options", windows, system settings, etc.
* The keyboard quality is FANTASTIC ... exactly as expected from Lenovo (the current manufacturer of my fav line of notebooks: Thinkpads).
Overall, there is a definite "buyer's remorse" in this case. I bought the product with a lot of anticipations and expectations. But, all my enthusiasm was dashed because of the pathetic battery life and unusually heavy screen that topples the notebook! :(
In conclusion: I usually don't recommend people to buy/not-buy a product. I expect them to make up their own mind based on my review and other people's reviews of a product. But in this case ... with this is one product ... I would strongly recommend you NOT buy this product. At least not this version. Wait for the next version to see if Lenovo (or someone else) addresses the issues (battery, design, software, etc).
Yes, I am sad for having lost ~14K. :(
read more ▼