It will soon be mandatory to link your Aadhaar card with your Voter ID. The Government of India recently passed the Election Laws (Amendment) Bill 2021 that will allow electoral registration officers to seek the Aadhaar number of people who want to register as voters for the purpose of establishing identity. This is said to curb the menace of multiple enrolments of the same person in different places. The Aadhaar-Voter ID card link will also allow citizens to update their demographics in the documents more seamlessly. Here’s a quick guide on how to link your Aadhaar card with your Voter ID card online and why is it necessary, among other things.
Linking of Aadhaar with Voter ID is voluntary, and not mandatory as of now.
Why link Aadhaar card with Voter ID?
The entire hue and cry of this move are ultimately to reduce the voter fraud that takes place in our country. With The Election Laws (Amendment) Bill in effect, ECI will be able to identify duplicate voters using the Aadhaar biometric database. Another key benefit of this bill is that those who are migrants and reside in another part of the country will not lose their right to vote. When Voter ID is linked to Aadhaar, a migrant with a valid Aadhaar can prove his/her identity, wherever he/she is. This would enable him/her to become a voter where he/she is currently residing, and, when systems mature, to vote in his/her home constituency.
Now that we have a clear idea of the benefits we get, let us see how to link your voter ID with your Aadhaar card.
How to link Aadhaar card with Voter ID card online
You can link your voter ID easily online using the national voter service portal. Here’s how it works:
- Visit the national voter service portal website.
- Using your mobile number, email address, and Voter ID number, log in to the portal and enter your password, if you have not registered, register by clicking the create my account text on the top.
- After that, search in the electoral roll register, by entering your Voter ID (VID) or by entering your state, district, and personal information such as your name, date of birth, and father’s name in the advanced search.
- Click the search button, and if the details entered correctly match the government’s database, then the search results, along with the details of the voter will be presented on the screen.
- On the left side of the screen, tap the ‘Feed Aadhaar No.’ option.
- Fill in the name as it appears on the Aadhaar card, Aadhaar number, Voter ID number, registered mobile number, and/or registered email address on a pop-up page.
- After you’ve filled in all of the information, check everything again and hit the submit button.
- Finally, a notice will appear on the screen indicating that your request has been successfully registered.
How to link Aadhaar card with Voter ID card via SMS
Linking your voter ID with your SMS is fairly easy,
- Open the SMS on your phone and send a text message to 166 or 519569
- Send the text as follows: < Voter ID Number > < Aadhaar Number >
Can you link Aadhaar card with Voter ID card offline?
Yes, you can also link Voter ID to your Aadhaar card offline by visiting the booth level office and by submitting your linking application to the booth level officer. The booth level office can be located online on the national voter’s service portal. At the office, fill up and submit an Aadhaar link form along with the copies of your Voter ID card and your Aadhaar card. The booth level officer will then verify the details of your Voter ID card and Aadhaar card, following which the linking will be started. This might take some time and once the linking is done you will be informed of the same.
Is it free to link Aadhaar with a Voter ID card?
Yes, it is absolutely free of charge. You can link it with either of the methods mentioned above.