Aadhar card, as you may know, is a unique twelve-digit identification number. It was introduced back in 2009 for citizens of India, NRIs, and foreign nationals who have spent over 182 days or more in the last 12 more in the country. However, 12 years have passed since Aadhaar inception, and many early adopters of the unique identification number have aged further. Thereby, updating your Aadhaar card photo becomes a necessity especially since your basic identification relies on it. Aadhar is often regarded as the sole proof of Indian citizenship other than an Indian passport. 91Mobiles has the solution right here for you, as we will take you through the process of changing/updating your Aadhar card photo.
How to change Aadhar card photo
Since Aadhaar is a centralised biometric data house, it is not possible to handle this process online while at home. For undertaking this procedure it is mandatory to visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre/ Aadhaar Sewa Kendra. You can go through the following steps to better understand the procedure.
- You have to visit the nearest Adhaar Enrolment Centre/ Aadhaar Sewa Kendra to process an update of your Aadhaar card photo. You can find and identify the nearest centre here.
- Next up, you have to download the Aadhar Enrollment / Correction / Update form from the UIDAI website. Or you can tap on this link and download the PDF version of the form.
- Once done, fill the form up with necessary and relevant details.
- You then have to furnish this form to the executive at the centre who will be handling your case.
- The executive will then proceed to take a fresh photograph of you.
- You will then be required to confirm this process by approving it using your biometric data (such as your fingerprints).
- An acknowledgement slip will be provided to you at the end of the procedure where the Update Request Number (URN) will be mentioned.
- The entire process of updating your photo on the Aaadhar card can take up to 90 days.
The fee for updating your Aadhar card photo is Rs 100.
How to download the updated Aadhar card
After your Aadhaar has been updated you can follow some quick and easy steps to download your updated Aadhaar card:
- Fire up your browser and visit: https://eaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/
- The webpage allows you to download an electronic copy of your Aadhaar card using the 12-digit unique number, enrollment id, and virtual ID
- Select the tab accordingly and enter the number, followed by Captcha verification
- Check I want a masked Aadhaar? if you want the first 8-digits of your Aadhaar number masked. This version can be used where you have to provide Aadhaar only as identity proof.
- After this, choose Send OTP or Enter TOPT. The former will send an OTP to your registered mobile number, while TOPT will ask you to enter a time-based one-time password to download Aadhaar card on your mobile phone
This way you can download an electronic copy of your Aadhaar card in PDF form. The copy will most likely be password protected.
What is Aadhaar card password?
The Aadhaar card password is usually the first four letters of your name (in caps) as mentioned in your document and the year of birth (YYYY). For instance, if your name is Pankaj and you were born in 1999, your Aadhaar card password will be PANK1999.
How to check Aadhaar card update status online
When applying for updating your photo on Aadhar card, the executive at the center will issue you your URN or the Update Request Number. This is a 14 digit unique number that will be issued against your case and will have a format similar to, 1234/12345/12345.
You can then follow the steps given below to track your update status:
- Go to UIDAI website and select ‘Check Aadhaar update Status‘, which should be available under My Aadhaar
- Select the URN option and enter the 14 digit URN into the box section down below.
- Once done, carefully type in the supplied captcha.
- Hit on Check Status.
The screen will show you whether your Aadhaar card update is complete or not.
What documents are required to update your photo on Aadhaar card?
To update your Aadhar card photo you don’t need to furnish any other document. The executive would not be asking to see any Aadhar related document for updating your photo on your Aadhar card.
Can you update the photo on Aadhaar card online?
No, you can’t update your photo on Aadhaar card online home online. You will have to visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre/ Aadhaar Sewa Kendra to initiate the process.
How much time does it take to update Aadhaar?
Per UIDAI, the entire process of updating your Aaadhar card can take up to 90 days.
Are there any charges for updating Aadhaar card photo?
Yes, UIDAI charges Rs 100 for updating your Aaadhar card photo.