Prevention is always better than cure, more so in the case of the pandemic caused by coronavirus (COVID-19). Amongst numerous preventive measures, vaccination proves to be an important weapon to combat COVID. Along with adults, the government has announced a vaccination drive for children too. The registration for the COVID vaccine for kids in India will start soon on CoWIN digital platform. Read on to know more about the COVID vaccine drive for kids in India, including how to book COVID vaccination slots for kids aged 15 to 18 years online.
COVID vaccination for children
India will soon be trailing countries like the USA, UAE, and others in providing COVID vaccination for kids. Vaccination will not only lower the risk of the disease among kids but will also reduce the constant worries and anxious thoughts parents are having while sending their kids to school or anywhere outside.
COVID vaccine for kids in India will be available for 15-18-year-olds from January 3rd, 2022. That said, starting January 1st, 2022, you will be able to register for the vaccine. The authorities have cleared double-dose of Covaxin by Bharat Biotech for children as of now. The second Indian vaccine Covishield is yet to get approval. To book COVID vaccination slot for 15–18-year-olds online, they will have to register on the CoWIN digital platform using a valid photo identity proof.
Before we get down the easy step-by-step guide on how you can book COVID vaccination slot for children, here are the documents that you need to possess. The government has mandated the use of the Aadhaar card. However, if someone doesn’t have an Aadhaar card, he/she can use other valid IDs, including student ID cards.
Since everyone might not have an Aadhaar card or other valid ID proof (such as Passport, Driving License, PAN card, Pension Passbook, NPR Smart card, and Electors Photo Identification Card (EPIC or Voter ID card), the option of using a student ID card for registration will prove to be highly convenient for kids.
How to book COVID vaccination for 15-18 years online
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to book COVID vaccination slot for 15–18-year-olds online:
Via CoWIN platform
- Visit the CoWIN portal.
- Register using a mobile number and Aadhaar card or other approved ID proof, including the student ID card.
- Next, search for the nearest vaccination centre. For this, search by district (select state and then select district from the drop-down menu on the portal), by pin code, or on the Map.
- Select the preferred centre for COVID vaccine for kids in India and book the time slot as per convenience from available options.
After the slot has been booked, walk into your preferred vaccination centre along with your original documents to get the jab.
Via Aarogya Setu and Umang app
One can also book COVID vaccine slot from the government-backed Aarogya Setu or Umang app
- Download either app from the Google Play Store and App Store
- Sign-up, if you haven’t
- Look for Co-WIN. Tap on it to open
- Choose ‘Register or Login for Vaccination’
- Validate your mobile number again and fill-up the form to register for the Covid vaccine for your kids
What is the age limit for COVID vaccine in India?
At present, the age limit for COVID vaccine in India is over 18 years of age. However, the government has announced that COVID vaccine for kids in India aged 15-18 years will be available from January 3, 2022, and the registration for the same will begin from January 1, 2022.
When will COVID-19 vaccine be available for kids under 12?
There is no official announcement by the Indian government as of now about when will COVID-19 vaccine be available for kids under 12. Although CDSCO’s (Committee of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation) Subject Expert Committee had recommended approving the emergency use authorisation (EUA) for Covaxin for kids between 2 and 18 years of age, the regulator at present has restricted the EUA for the jab for 15-18-year-old children subject to certain conditions. Thus, the COVID vaccine for kids in India will be available for only 15-18-year-old children from January 3, 2022, although registration will begin from January 1, 2022.
How to find COVID vaccine centre near me?
It is simple to find COVID vaccine centres near you, just follow these steps:
- Visit the CoWIN portal.
- Register for COVID vaccine for kids in India using a mobile number and Aadhaar card or other valid ID cards (for children, the student ID card has been added to the list of valid identity proof).
- Next, search for the vaccination centres near you – either by using the pin code of your area or by district name or by using Map. Amongst the available vaccine centres for COVID vaccine for kids in India, you can select the one convenient for you to reach.