Shifted to a new location and looking to get the address change in your driving licence online? We are here to help. Much like any other document, it’s important to keep your driving licence address up to date for any form of communication from the regional transport office (RTO). Chapter 4 of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 allows the licence holders to apply for a residential address change. Here’s a quick guide on how to change your address in driving licence online, what documents are required, and the fees you will have to pay for it:
What documents are required for a driving licence address change?
First things first, before applying for an address change, you will need some documents to proceed further. So, make sure you have all of these documents before applying online.
- Application in Form 33
- Certificate of registration
- Proof of new address
- Valid insurance certificate
- Pollution under control (PUC) certificate
- No Objection Certificate from financier (in case you have bought the vehicle on loan)
- Attested copy of PAN card or Form 60 and Form 61(as applicable)
- Chassis & Engine Pencil Print
- Signature Identification of the owner
How to change address in driving licence online
- Visit the Ministry of Road, Transport, and Highways website, and select your state.
- Based on your state selection, you should be able to see a number of online services, select “Apply for Change of Address”.
- You should get a window for application submission instructions. Click on continue.
- Enter your driving licence number and your date of birth as asked.
- Click on Get DL details, and confirm that the driving details mentioned belong to you.
- Complete the information that is shown on scrolling down your details, such as category and RTO details where you want to apply.
- Click on “Proceed” and add all the required details.
- Check the box against “Change of address on DL”.
- Choose one option out of “Permanent”, “Present”, or “Both” as per your requirement and fill in the required details.
- Click on “Confirm” and “Submit”. Pay the processing fee as required.
How to check the status of driving licence address change
It is pretty simple to check your application status online:
- Visit the Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways website, and select your state.
- Click on the “Application Status” tab present on the top-right.
- Enter the details and captcha.
- Click on “Submit”. You will get the status of your application.
Are there any fees to be paid for driving licence address change?
Yes, you will have to pay a processing fee of Rs 500 plus any additional charges levied on the application.
Can you change the address in the driving licence offline?
Yes, you can change your address in the driving licence offline too.
If you want to make an application offline, the first step is to obtain a No Objection Certificate / Clearance Certificate from the RTO from where you obtained your driving licence. Once you have obtained the CC / NOC, you will be required to go to the nearest RTO if you wish to apply for a change of address. Meet the officials at the driving licence section or the person who is performing these duties. Submit your application and all documents to them.
You have to pay a fee of Rs. 20 for changing the address and Rs. 200 for getting a Smart Card. Once you complete the above process, you should be called for photo and biometric verification like iris and fingerprint scanning. You will receive a receipt/acknowledgement slip confirming your application. The driving licence will be delivered within 30 days from the date of application.
Is it mandatory to change address in driving licence?
If you have a registered vehicle, it is necessary to keep your license up to date. Any discrepancies will definitely lead to confusion and you might be questioned and punished according to the law. Hence, it is advised to change your address within 30 days of shifting to your new locality.