- The latest iOS 16 update has triggered a bug on the Google Photos app for iPhone
- The bug causes the Google Photos app on the latest iOS version to crash
- Google has rolled out a fix to solve this issue along with other improvements to the app
Apple has rolled out a new version of their iOS 16 operating system that goes with version name iOS 16.3.1, which is apparently causing the Google Photos app to malfunction. The new update was released yesterday and has reportedly been causing Google Photos to crash on iPhones running on the latest version of iOS 16. If you are a Google Photos user on iOS and experiencing the crash, here’s how to fix it.
Google Photos app crashing: how to fix?
Users who have been facing this issue can update their Google Photos app to its latest version which was promptly rolled out by the California-based tech company right after users started complaining about the new bug. The latest update to the Google Photos app with version number 6.23.1 was rolled out on February 14th, and claims to have fixed the issues being faced by users due to the new iOS update.
iOS 16.3.1 changelog
This update provides bug fixes and security updates for your iPhone on iOS 16 including:
- iCloud settings may be unresponsive or display incorrectly if apps are using iCloud
- Siri requests for Find My may not work
- Crash Detection optimisations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models
Apple say the iOS 16.3.1 update patches an iPhone bug that affected iPhone 8 models and later. iOS 16.3.1 and iPadOS 16.3.1 fix a WebKit vulnerability that cybercriminals may have exploited. WebKit is a browser engine used by Safari, Mail, the App Store, and other apps.
The iOS 16.3.1 update also fix an iCloud issue. Reddit and Twitter users claimed they weren’t able to back up to iCloud since the previous update. This seems to have been fixed.
Another notable fix is the crash detection feature optimisation on iPhone 14 and 14 Pro models. Crash detection was reportedly being falsely triggered on roller coasters and at ski resorts, which has been better optimised with the update.