“Houseparty creators deny that the app has been hacked, but if you’re still concerned, we show you how you can delete your account”
Houseparty emerged as a popular way to virtually hang out with friends and family during the coronavirus lockdown in India and several other parts of the world. However, it seems the app has now run into a problem. Many users are claiming their PayPal, Netflix, Spotify, and online-banking accounts have been hacked after downloading the Houseparty app. Several tweets, including from verified users, include screenshots of what users say is compromised accounts from Spotify and other services. This has started concerning people who are now looking to delete their Houseparty accounts altogether.
Houseparty, meanwhile, claims that there is no evidence that can link the app to leaking users’ personal details. “We’ve found no evidence to suggest a link between Houseparty and the compromises of other unrelated accounts,” said the company’s spokeswoman to Business Insider. She further added that “people shouldn’t use the same username or password across different accounts, a common security mistake.” If you’re still not convinced about the app not being safe, we show you how you can permanently delete your Houseparty account on iOS and Android.
How to delete Houseparty account on iOS
- Houseparty users on iOS can easily delete their accounts. You need to first tap on the ‘face’ icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Select the gear icon from the following screen which will take you to the Settings menu.
- Go to ‘Privacy’ and select ‘Delete Account’.
- A message will show up asking you if you you are sure you want to delete your account. Select ‘Yes’.
- Enter your Houseparty account password and select ‘Delete’. This will permanently delete your Houseparty account.
How to delete Houseparty account on Android/ desktop
- Unlike iOS, there is no option to delete Houseparty account within the app on Android/ desktop.
- Users will have to send an email request to the Houseparty support team in order to delete their account.
- Draft a mail to ‘email@example.com’ and type ‘Request to Delete Account’ in the Subject field.
- Then, a request to immediately delete account should be made. Don’t forget to include your full name, Houseparty username, email address, and phone number in the message.
- This will help quickly send a request straight to the Houseparty support team.