PAN Card online apply: PAN aka Permanent Account Number is an electronic system that identifies taxpayers in the country. It keeps track of every transaction made by an individual/ company who is identified with a 10-digit unique identification alphanumeric number (containing both alphabets and numbers). PAN Card is a must for all, including individuals, companies, and non-residents Indians (NRIs). If you’re wondering how to apply for PAN card online, don’t worry we’ve got you covered. The process to apply for PAN card online is simple and can be done online at home with a nominal processing fee. Additionally, we tell you how to check PAN Card status online and how to download e PAN card on your device.
Here are a few things you need to know about PAN Card
- PAN eligibility –PAN Card is issued to individuals, companies, and NRIs.
- Types of PAN – A PAN Card can be for individuals, an association of persons, body of individuals, artificial judicial person, local authority, HUF (Hindu undivided family), companies, firms/ partnerships, trusts, society, and foreigners
- Cost of PAN card – The charges for applying PAN online is Rs 110 for residents of India, while for NRIs, it costs Rs 1,011.
Read more: How to link PAN with Aadhaar card online
How to apply for PAN Card online
As per the Income Tax department, official website a PAN Card can be applied online through the portal of NSDL or UTIITSL. Both organisations issue PAN Card to individuals, companies, and organisations. Your PAN Card is valid for a lifetime and is unaffected by any change in address. No two people on tax paying entities can have the same PAN cards. As per provisions of Section 272B of the Income Tax Act, 1961, a penalty of Rs 10,000 can be levied on possession of more than one PAN.
- To apply for PAN Card online, visit NSDL (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/index.html) or UTITISL (https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/PAN/index.jsp) website
- Select ‘Application Type’ and ‘Category’. If you’re a citizen of India, select Form 49A otherwise opt for Form 49AA (applicable for NRIs only).
- After this, fill out ‘Application information’ section on the same page, which includes ‘Title’, Surname, First name (optional), Last name (optional), DoB, email ID and Mobile number
- Agree to the pages terms and conditions, enter CAPTCHA code, and hit enter
- An OTP will be sent your mobile number/ email ID for verification
- Once you verify it, a temporary user ID and password will be created
- After you’ve filled out the form, you’ll be asked to make a payment, which can be done through credit/debit card, demand draft or net-banking.
- Once the application and payment are accepted, you’ll be asked to submit documents while applying for PAN card online for identification purposes. These documents are as follows
Documents for verifications
POI (proof of identity) / POA (proof of address) – Aadhaar, Passport, Voter ID, Driving Licence
Hindu Undivided Family
An affidavit of the HUF issued by the head of HUF along with POI/POA details
Company registered in India
Certificate of Registration issued by Registrar of Companies
Firms/ Partnership (LLP)
Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of Firms/ Limited Liability Partnerships and Partnership Deed.
Copy of Trust Deed or a copy of the Certificate of Registration Number issued by a Charity Commissioner.
Certificate of Registration Number from Registrar of Co-operative Society or Charity Commissioner
PIO/ OCI card issued by the Indian Government
Bank statement of the residential country
Copy of NRE bank statement in India
- You can scan or upload these documents or send to NSDL/ UTIITSL through courier/post
- After the successful completion of the form, the PAN card is delivered to the submitted address within 15 days
Read more: How to update mobile number in Aadhaar
How to check PAN Card status
PAN Card status can be checked online through respective NSDL/ UTIITSL portals.
- If you’ve applied for PAN Card online via NSDL, go to its homepage and select ‘Registered User‘ option
- Enter Temporary Token number (which you may have received while applying for the PAN Card online), email ID, DoB, and Captcha Code
- Click on ‘Submit’ to proceed. The following screen will tell you the status of your PAN card.
UTIITSL users can click on ‘Track PAN Card‘ from the home page and enter Application coupon number or PAN number, DoB, and CAPTCHA code to check PAN Card status.
How to download PAN Card
NSDL/ UTIITSL issues e-PAN card to users, which can be downloaded to the device. NSDL sends the e-PAN card to your registered email ID. The file is encrypted, enter your date of birth in dd/mm/yy format to unlock.
- UTIITSL has a section on its homepage that allows users to download PAN Card
- Click on ‘Download e-PAN‘ option
- Enter PAN number, DoB, CAPTCHA Code, and hit ‘Submit’ to download e-PAN
This facility is only available for users who have applied for a fresh PAN or applied for the latest change/correction update with UTIITSL and who have earlier registered a valid and active mobile number OR email with their PAN record with the Income Tax department.
How to make changes/ correction to PAN card
NSDL and UTIITSL both allow you to make changes/ corrections to PAN card. You can do it physically by sending documents to the department or online through the respective portals.
- Go to NSDL website and this time select ‘Changes or correction to existing PAN data’ options from the ‘Application Type’ dropdown menu
- UTIITSL has a ‘Change/ Correction in PAN card‘ option on the home screen. Click on it and look for ‘Apply for Change/ Correction in PAN card details’
- Select the ‘Digital’ option. For this, you need to have an Aadhaar card with the registered mobile number.
- Fill in all the necessary details and your PAN card will be updated after verification in a few days
- The fee for a request for changes or corrections in PAN data is somewhere around Rs 100