Get rid of an unwanted/ blank page from the middle of your word file or at the end of the document with these easy steps. The blank pages in an MS Word file can make you look a bit unprofessional or give you a headache while taking the printouts. Blank pages can also cause problems with the formatting of your document if you are converting it to other file formats. If you’re wondering how to delete page(s) in Word, we’ve got you covered. The process to delete a page on Microsoft Word, whether it’s 2007, 2016, 2019, or 2021 versions, is pretty simple and straightforward. Here’s how to do it.
How to delete extra page in MS Word
Delete page in Word using backspace/ delete
It’s probably the easiest way to delete a page in MS Word versions, including 2007, 2016, 2019, and 2021. Whether it’s a blank page or page containing text, graphics, or empty paragraphs, you can delete it from the doc file using the ‘Backspace’ button on Windows PC/ laptop or ‘Delete’ on Mac.
- Select the entire page you wish the delete via a cursor or Control+A/ Command+A commands
- Now, hit the ‘Backspace/ Delete’ buttons
- The unwanted or the blank page will be removed from the word file in Microsoft Word
If the word file is too big and you’re not sure where exactly is the blank page, you can seek help from the ‘Navigation’ pane. You can do so by selecting View from the top menu and ticking the box next to the Navigation Pane box in the ‘Show’ section. This should open a new column on the left-hand side of the document on MS Word 2007, 2016, 2019, and 2021 versions, showing all the pages in your document. Scroll through that to find the blank page(s) in the word file.
Delete page in Word using Find and Replace tool
Additionally, you can delete an extra page in Word using the Find and Replace tool. The find and replace tool let’s easily navigate to the page you want to delete with a couple of strokes. You should use this method to deal with big Word files that contain many pages and are slow to navigate. Here are the steps you can use to delete a page in Word, whether it’s 2007, 2016, 2019, and 2021 versions, using the Find and Replace tool.
- Open the word file in MS Word, tap anywhere on the page you want to delete
- Press ‘Ctrl+G’ in Windows or ‘Option+Command+G’ in Mac
- A dialogue box will pop-up, head over to the ‘Go To’ section and type the page in the ‘Enter Page Number’ box.
- Press ‘Enter’ on your keyboard and hit ‘Close’
- Verify it’s the right page (the last thing you would want to delete a wrong page) and the content is selected
- Then press ‘Delete’/ ‘Backspace’ on your keyboard
Remove blank page in MS Word from the end
Microsoft Word versions, including 2007, 2016, 2019, and 2021, tends to create a blank page at the end of a document that won’t just go away. This is because the last page includes an end paragraph.
- To remove this unwanted space and delete the page in Microsoft Word, Hold Ctrl + Shift + 8 on Windows or Command + 8 if you’re using a Mac to make the paragraph markers visible.
- Select the paragraph markers with double click on the icons
- Hit the ‘Delete’ or ‘Backspace’ button to remove the paragraph markers and the blank page
How to recover deleted Word page
In case, you’ve accidentally deleted the right word page, you can recover it using ‘Control+Z’ on Windows or ‘Command+Z’ on Mac. Provided, you haven’t closed the word file.