“The dual-SIM iPhone functionality works using eSIM technology and can be turned on by scanning a QR code”
The iOS 12.1 update that Apple rolled out yesterday has finally brought dual-SIM functionality on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. As was announced at the iPhone launch event in September, the dual-SIM function on the new models will use eSIM technology to create a secondary profile for calls, SMSes, and cellular data. This digital SIM tech is being supported by Airtel and Jio initially, though more operators could add support for the same in coming time. Let’s take a look at how to set up Airtel eSIM on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.
How to set up Airtel eSIM on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR
- To start with, you need to send an SMS with your email ID to 121 in the format ‘eSIM<SPACE>email’.
- After this, you will receive a confirmation SMS and a call confirming that you sent a request to convert your physical SIM to an eSIM.
- This will be followed by an email that contains a QR code. This QR code needs to be scanned using the iPhone on which you want to set up the digital SIM.
- To scan the QR code, open the Settings app on your iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR and head to the Mobile Data option.
- Here, tap on the Data Plan option and scan the QR code. remember, the code can be scanned only once.
- Now, you will be prompted to add the Airtel data plan on the eSIM. Just tap on Add Data Plan at the bottom on the screen to do the same. You will be able to set this profile as primary or secondary.
- Next you have to choose which number (the physical SIM or the eSIM) you want to use for calls and data.
- There will be a small period when your number will become inactive while it transfers from a physical SIM to a digital SIM. During this period, which lasts a few minutes, you will not be able to make calls, send SMSes, or access mobile data on the iPhone unit.
- Once this transfer is over, you will see the secondary eSIM profile in your Mobile Data settings.
That’s all you have to do to set up Airtel eSIM for dual-SIM functionality on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. Also, it should be noted that the SIM profile on your physical Airtel SIM card will be removed and it cannot be used on any other handset. In the Dialler app, you will see an option to change the number to call from (between primary, secondary, and others). You can add more than one eSIM profile on the same device, meaning you can set up one profile for work, another for travelling abroad and the like, in addition to the one on your physical SIM.