For Indian citizens, Aadhaar card is now one of the most crucial documents as it can be used for proof of identity, address and age. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to not only have an Aadhaar card but also ensure that it is verified. The Aadhaar verification process allows a cardholder to confirm its existence and even, correct any discrepancies before submitting it as proof to banks, potential employers, government authorities, and more. Once you’ve registered for your Aadhaar card and obtained your 12-digit Aadhaar number, you can easily verify it online through the official website of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) or offline using the mAadhaar app.
Here’s all you need to know about verifying your Aadhaar card – online and offline:
How to verify Aadhaar card online
It is possible for you to verify your Aadhaar card online in a hassle-free manner through the official UIDAI website. All you need to keep handy is your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
Through UIDAI website
- Visit the official UIDAI website and select your preferred language.
- Navigate to My Aadhaar tab and select the Verify an Aadhaar Number option under Aadhaar Services.
- On the page that opens, enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and captcha code and click on Proceed and Verify Aadhaar.
- The page that opens will confirm if your Aadhaar number exists, along with details like your age band, gender, state you reside in and last three digits of your mobile number.
How to verify Aadhaar card offline
To verify your Aadhaar offline, you need to scan the QR code on your Aadhaar print letter or e-Aadhaar using mAadhaar app. The app is available for Android and iOS mobile phones.
Using mAadhaar app
- Download and install the mAadhaar app on your mobile phone.
- Open the app, select your preferred language and launch the QR Code Scanner from the app.
- Scan the QR code on your Aadhaar print letter or e-Aadhaar.
- The app will display if your Aadhaar data is verified, along with your photo and demographic details including name, gender, date of birth, mobile number and email ID. You can verify all the information on your screen with the physical or digital copy of your Aadhaar.
Things to keep in mind during Aadhaar card verification
Here are a few important things to keep in mind when verifying your Aadhaar number:
- It is mandatory to link your mobile number with Aadhaar to continue the verification process as you’ll be receiving an OTP on the registered number.
- Remember to always use a secure network when verifying your Aadhaar card.
- Keep your supporting documents handy to be able to verify every single detail on the Aadhaar card.
- In case you find any error, contact UIDAI on their customer service number 1800 300 1947 or simply 1947. You can also mail them to email@example.com.
- Never share your Aadhaar card details with another person for verification purposes, unless it is one of the Offline Verification Seeking Entities (OVSEs).
Need for Aadhaar card verification
Wondering why you even need to verify your Aadhaar card in the first place? Well, there are quite a few reasons why Aadhaar verification is essential before you submit it as proof.
- It helps you ensure that your Aadhaar number is issued and valid.
- It is crucial to avoid misuse of identity and other biometric data.
- It allows you to check if all the submitted details are correct and rectify any errors.
Aadhaar card serves as a valid KYC document across the country and entitles Indian citizens to certain benefits and subsidies under the Aadhaar Act 2016. After verification, you can use your Aadhaar card to file taxes, apply for a PAN card, get a driver’s license, purchase a new vehicle, open a bank account, and perform other financial transactions.
1. What documents are required for Aadhaar card verification?
The Aadhaar card verification process doesn’t require you to submit any document.
In case you’re unable to verify your Aadhaar number online, you’ll need to visit your nearest enrolment centre to submit your supporting documents like birth certificate, address proof, marriage proof (if applicable), etc. and possibly, record the biometric data again.
2. How long does it take to verify Aadhaar?
Generally, it takes 5-7 days to verify your Aadhaar. However, in some cases, it may take up to 90 days.
3. How much does it cost to verify an Aadhaar card?
UIDAI offers an online Aadhaar card verification service on its website free of cost.
4. Can someone else verify my Aadhaar on my behalf?
While it is possible, you shouldn’t allow an unknown user to verify Aadhaar details on your behalf.
IMPORTANT: We don’t advise you to share your Aadhaar number with others as it may lead to data theft.
UPDATE: As per a guideline issued by the UIDAI earlier this year, Offline Verification Seeking Entities (OVSEs) need to verify a person’s Aadhaar number prior to accepting it as a proof of identity, but only after explicit consent of the cardholder.
5. How do I check if my Aadhaar card is deactivated?
All you need to do is log in to the official UIDAI website and go to Aadhaar Services > Verify Aadhaar Number. On the page that opens, enter your unique 12-digit Aadhaar number and the security code and click on Verify to know if your Aadhaar card is deactivated.
6. Is it possible to change Aadhaar card details post-verification?
Yes. You have the option to change your name, date of birth (once), address, and gender in your Aadhaar card through UIDAI’s Self Service Update Portal (SSUP). You’ll be required to upload scanned copies of the original supporting documents for change or correction. For the updation of your mobile number, email ID, and biometrics, you’ll need to visit your nearest Aadhaar card enrolment centre or Aadhaar Seva Kendra.