- iOS 17 software is compatible with iPhone XR and above models.
- The new version brings features like Journal, StandBy Display, iMessage upgrades, and more.
- The new software update will be rolling out on September 18th at 10 PM IST.
Apple announced the iOS 17 release date at the iPhone 15 launch event, stating the latest version of the OS will be available for public download from September 18th. This comes after the brand unveiled the new software version at the WWDC Developer’s conference back in June, and the first beta launched on July 12th.
Follow us on WhatsApp, Click to Join
iOS 17 doesn’t bring a complete design overhaul per se but has some notable improvements when it comes to features. Firstly, there is a new Journal app, which as the name suggests, will allow you to practice gratitude through journaling. FaceTime gets support for audio and video messages, and Apple’s voice assistant will now just get triggered by saying “Siri” instead of “Hey Siri”.
iOS 17 release time in India
iOS 17 update will be available for iPhone users in India starting at 10 PM IST on Monday, September 18th. Users can head to Settings > General > Software Update and check for the iOS 17 update after 10 PM.
iOS 17-compatible iPhones
iOS 17 will only be compatible with iPhones running the A12 Bionic chipset, meaning all iPhones before the iPhone XR/XS will not be eligible for the update.
- iPhone 15 series
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone SE 3rd Gen
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone SE 2nd Gen
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
iOS 17 features
- FaceTime: FaceTime on iOS 17 gets support for audio and video messages. These can be shared with contacts.
- Phone app: iOS 17 finally brings an overhaul to the Phone app. The new ‘Poster’ feature allows users to add an image of the contact. This will be displayed on your recipient’s iPhone when you call them. We also have the option to add live voicemail, which will serve you live transcription of the message from the caller if you don’t answer calls.
- iMessage: There is a new catch-up icon to jump to the most recent messages and a transaction of voice messages. The messaging app gets a new search filter for narrow results. There is a new Check-In feature that shares the live location and status.
- Stickers: iOS 17 allows you to add any emoji or photo cutout on the device as a ‘Sticker’. Users can also turn Live Photos into animated stickers, add effects and use them to chat with others.
- AirDrop: AirDrop is getting NameDrop, which will allow users to share their selected email ID, contact number, and posters wirelessly. For this to work, users need to bring two iPhones near each other. The feature also works between an iPhone and Apple Watch.
- Keyboard: The iPhone keyboard is updated to include inline predictive predictions and sentence-level autocorrections.
- Journal: iOS 17 is bringing a new app called Journal. As the name suggests, this will help iPhone users “reflect and practice gratitude through journaling.” The app is said to use on-device machine learning to personalise suggestions and these will be curated based on recent activity, using photos, people, places, workouts, and more.
- StandBy Display: StandBy Display brings glanceable information such as date, time, photos, and more. The display can be personalised with a range of clock styles, favourite photos, or widgets, including Smart Stacks. This will also include support for Live Activities, Siri, Incoming Calls, and Large notifications.