Jio 5G services have started rolling out in India. The telco has introduced the services in a few regions for now. This will be followed by a wider rollout in the upcoming months, but it will not be until December 2023 that the Jio 5G will be available in ‘every town, talukdar, and tehsil’ of the country. Be that as it may, the Jio 5G will be based on a standalone network and is rated to deliver speeds up to 1Gbps. While you don’t need a new Jio SIM to use 5G, you will be required to manually enable 5G on your compatible smartphones. With that being said, in this guide, we’ll provide you with all you need to activate Jio 5G on your smartphone. So without any further ado, let’s begin.
What is Jio 5G?
The Jio 5G is a standalone (SA)-based fifth-gen cellular connectivity that promises impressive speed and low latency. The network is said to be superior to a non-standalone (NSA) network, which relies on the existing 4G infrastructure to offer 5G services. The SA 5G is built from the ground up and does not rely on the existing cellular infrastructure. This would give Jio 5G an edge over its competitors in terms of speed, coverage, and stability.
How to activate Jio 5G on your smartphone
In order to use Jio 5G, you will have to enable 5G on your compatible smartphones. This can be done from the phone’s settings. In case, you are not sure how follow the step-by-step guide below to activate Jio 5G on Android and iPhone.
How to activate Jio 5G on iPhone
Once Jio rolls out its 5G services in your area, 5G can be activated on an Android phone using the following procedure.
- Open ‘Settings’ app on your smartphone
- Next, find and select ‘Mobile network’ or a similar setting
- Select the Jio SIM you want to enable 5G on
- From here, select the ‘Preferred network type’ option
- Now select the option that says 5G
- After following these steps, you should be getting a 5G symbol on the status bar which indicates that 5G services have been activated on your smartphone
Also, make sure to enable mobile data and turn off Wi-Fi for the 5G symbol to appear.
How to activate Jio 5G on iPhone
iPhone users with iPhone 12 series and above can use 5G services by enabling it from the cellular settings. Following is the step-by-step process to activate Jio 5G on an iPhone.
- Open the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone
- Next, go the the ‘Cellular’ menu within the settings
- From here select ‘Cellular Data Options’
- Now to enable 5G, tap on ‘Voice & Data’ option and either select ‘5G Auto’ or ‘5G On’ option
- Your iPhone will connect to a 5G network when available and you should see a 5G symbol on the status bar which indicates 5G services have been enabled
If the option to enable 5G within the settings doesn’t show up, it means the support is not live yet. Per a report, Apple has not opened 5G support on iPhones in India yet. In that case, a future iOS software update should enable the same on your iPhone.
Jio 5G speed and availability
The Jio 5G services are only available in beta in a handful of cities for now. These cities include Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Varanasi, Chennai, Nathdwara, Pune, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, and Gujarat. Even if you have a 5G-enabled smartphone and fall under Jio’s selected cities for the 5G rollout, you need to be enrolled in the invite-based trial program known as ‘Jio Welcome Offer’ to use 5G services.
Those who have received the invite will get to use unlimited Jio 5G data with up to 1Gbps+ speed. Additionally, the invited ‘Jio Welcome Offer’ customers will be automatically upgraded to the Jio True 5G service without needing to change their existing Jio SIM or 5G handset.
Which cities have Jio 5G services?
As part of its Welcome Offer, Jio has rolled out 5G services in various cities and states across India namely Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Varanasi, Chennai, Nathdwara, Pune, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, and Gujarat. However, since this is an invitation-based trial rollout, only a handful of users may get access to Jio 5G at least for the time being. Over the time period, Jio plans to add more cities to the program as the infrastructure progresses.
How to check if your area has 5G
In order to check if your area has 5G services, download the SpeedTest by Ookla’s app on your mobile phone. The app is available on Android mobile phone and iPhone. After you have downloaded the app, follow the steps:
- Complete the setup process.
- Give necessary permissions to run the SpeedTest app.
- Now, from the app’s home screen, choose the map option from the bottom menu bar
- Look for the dark blue spots on the map
- The blue spots represent 5G coverage. You can zoom in to get the exact details and visit the place with your 5G-enabled device to experience the 5G services
How to check if your smartphone is Jio 5G ready
In order to use 5G, you need to ensure whether your current smartphone supports 5G or not.
- To do that, refer to the retail box or packaging of your smartphone and check for any ‘5G’ text either on the front along with the model name or on the backside as a label. If no such text is present, then your smartphone is not 5G compatible. However, to be double sure you can always look up Google for the same.
- If your smartphone does support 5G, then check whether the bands mentioned on the retail box are supported by Jio’s 5G bands in your circle/city.
Jio 5G bands
During the 5G spectrum auctions, Jio bagged the most spectrum bands in India and also came on top as the highest bidder among other participants in the auction. The bands acquired by Reliance Jio are as follows.
- n28: 700MHz
- n5: 800MHz
- n3: 1800MHz
- n78: 3300MHz
- n258: 26GHz
With low-frequency bands like n28, it’ll allow Jio to penetrate and bring 5G services even to the most rural places in the country. Though the internet speeds will not be as impressive as other bands, it’ll at the least provide a 5G-like experience to the masses. Apart from that, Jio has also gone for the n78 band in almost all the major circles and this particular band is present on most of the 5G smartphones available in the market. Jio has joined hands with the likes of Nokia, Samsung, Cisco and Nokia for developing the infrastructure and sourcing of 5G gear.
Jio 5G News
Nothing Phone (1) gets Jio True 5G support via software update (October 20th)
Nothing has started rolling out an update that enables Jio 5G support on the Nothing Phone (1). The update changelog also mentions that some network issues users might be facing have been fixed. Users can expect to receive the update on their devices in the next couple of days.
1. Which iPhones are compatible with Jio 5G?
iPhone SE 2020, iPhone SE 2022, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max
2. Which Samsung phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
Samsung Galaxy S22, Samsung Galaxy S22+, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2, Samsung Galaxy S21, Samsung Galaxy S21+, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21 FE, Samsung S20 FE 5G, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy A53 5G, Samsung Galaxy A33 5G, Samsung Galaxy Galaxy M33, Samsung Galaxy F42, Samsung Galaxy A52s, Samsung Galaxy M52, Samsung Galaxy A22 5G, Samsung Galaxy M32 5G, Samsung Galaxy F23, Samsung Galaxy A73, Samsung Galaxy M42, Samsung Galaxy M53, and Samsung Galaxy M13
3. Which Vivo phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
Vivo X80, Vivo X80 pro, Vivo X70 Pro, Vivo X70 Pro+, Vivo X60 Pro+, Vivo X60 Pro, Vivo X60, Vivo X50 Pro, Vivo V20 Pro, Vivo V21 5G, Vivo V21e, Vivo Y72 5G, Vivo V23 5G, Vivo V23 Pro 5G, Vivo V23e 5G, Vivo T1 5G, Vivo Y75 5G, Vivo T1 PRO, Vivo V25, Vivo V25 Pro, Vivo Y55 5G, and Vivo Y55s 5G
4. Which iQOO phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
iQOO 9 Pro, iQOO 9T, iQOO 9, iQOO 9 SE, iQOO7, iQOO 3 5G, iQOO7 Legend, iQOO Z6, iQOO Z5 5G, and iQOO Z3
5. Which OnePlus phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
OnePlus 10 Pro, OnePlus 10T, OnePlus 10R, OnePlus 9, OnePlus 9 Pro, OnePlus 9R, OnePlus 9RT, OnePlus 8 Pro, OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8T, OnePlus Nord 2T, OnePlus Nord 2, OnePlus Nord CE, OnePlus Nord CE 2, OnePlus Nord CE Lite 2, and OnePlus Nord
6. Which Realme phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
Realme GT 2 Pro, Realme GT 2, Realme GT Neo 3 150W, Realme GT Neo 3, Realme GT Neo 3T, Realme GT Neo 2, Realme GT 5G, Realme GT Master Edition, Realme 9 Pro+, Realme 9 Pro, Realme 9 5G SE, Realme 9 5G, Realme 8s 5G, Realme 8 5G, Realme Narzo 50 Pro 5G, Realme Narzo 50 5G, Realme Narzo 30 5G, and Realme X7 Max
7. Which Xiaomi phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
Xiaomi 12 Pro, Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra, Xiaomi Mi 11X Pro, Xiaomi Mi 11X, Xiaomi 11T Pro, Xiaomi Mi 10, Xiaomi Mi 10i, Xiaomi Mi 10T, Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro, Xiaomi Redmi K50i, Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite NE 5G, Xiaomi Redmi Note 11T 5G, Xiaomi 11i HyperCharge 5G, Xiaomi 11i 5G, Xiaomi Redimi Note 10T, Xiaomi Redimi Note 11 Pro+, and Xiaomi Redimi 11 Prime 5G
8. Which Poco phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
Poco M3 Pro 5G, Poco F3 GT, Poco M4 5G, Poco M4 Pro 5G, Poco F4 5G, and Poco X4 Pro
9. Which Oppo phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
Oppo Reno 8 Pro, Oppo Reno 8 , Oppo Reno 7 Pro, Oppo Reno7, Oppo Reno 6 Pro, Oppo Reno 6 , Oppo Reno 5 Pro, Oppo F19 Pro+, Oppo A53s, Oppo A74, Oppo F21 Pro 5G, Oppo K10 5G, and Oppo F21s Pro 5G
10. Which Motorola phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
Motorola Edge 30 Fusion, Motorola Edge 30 Ultra, Moto G62, Moto G82 5G, Moto Edge 30, Moto G71 5G, Moto Edge 30 Pro, Moto G51 5G, Moto Edge 20 Pro, Moto Edge 20, and Moto Edge 20 Fusion
11. Which Lava phones are compatible with Jio 5G?
13. Is the Nothing Phone (1) compatible with Jio 5G?
Yes, Nothing Phone (1) is compatible with Jio 5G services.
14. Do you need a new sim to use Jio 5G services?
Since Jio’s 5G network is built on Stand-Alone 5G architecture it was earlier speculated users would be required to upgrade to a 5G SIM. But with the announcement of the 5G rollout in select cities, Jio has confirmed users can continue using the existing 4G SIMs and whenever 5G goes live, they can simply enable it on their smartphones and experience it provided there’s an active recharge plan for the same.
15. When will Jio 5G be available to everyone?
Jio claims to roll out 5G services to everyone by the end of December 2023. As the telco has already initiated a beta rollout in a few cities, expect Jio 5G to reach more metro cities in the next couple of weeks.