- OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro have been launched and the company wants you to virtually experience the phones
- The OnePlus 8 unboxing can be done via an Instagram filter
- It uses the phone’s camera to virtually place the OnePlus 8 box and contents in your environment
OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro have launched globally and in India this week, and the flagship smartphones come at a time when several countries are under coronavirus lockdown. Because of this, it will be a while before you can get your hands on the OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro. While many won’t be able to physically unbox the new OnePlus 8 devices right now, the company has come up with a rather innovative solution, allowing you to virtually unbox the smartphones.
OnePlus has launched a new Instagram filter that uses augmented reality to virtually place the OnePlus 8 or 8 Pro box in your environment through the viewfinder. It then lets you unbox the unit, placing the products in the box next to each other. So, with the OnePlus 8, you get the smartphone, a cover, charging brick and the red Type-C cable. OnePlus calls it an AR unboxing and it is quite intuitive. Here’s how you can do it on your smartphone.
- Open the Instagram app on your phone
- Click on the camera icon on the top-left
- Scroll through the filters all the way to ‘Browse Effects’
- In the search bar, type OnePlus
- You’ll see the option to ‘Unbox OnePlus 8’ or ‘Unbox OnePlus 8 Pro’
- Using the rear camera, you can position where you want to place the OnePlus box in your environment. Tap on the screen to then place the box.
- Tap on the box to reveal the contents inside
- Once the contents are out in the open, you can tap on each one of them to get a 360-degree view.
- You also have the option to see the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro in their official colours
OnePlus 8 series specifications
For the uninitiated, the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro come with punch-hole screens and high refresh rate displays. The regular OnePlus 8 sports a 6.55-inch full HD+ Fluid AMOLED display with a 90Hz refresh, while the Pro model gets a 6.78-inch QHD+ Fluid AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate. Both the phones are powered by the Snapdragon 865 SoC and offer up to 12GB RAM and 256GB internal storage.
OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro India prices and sale date are expected to be announced soon as they have been listed on Amazon India
The OnePlus 8 Pro rocks a quad-rear camera setup that includes a 48MP Sony IMX689 primary sensor, a 48MP ultra-wide-angle sensor, an 8MP telephoto lens with OIS, 3X hybrid zoom, and a 5MP f/2.4 colour filter sensor. The front camera of the phone gets a 16MP Sony IMX471 shooter with EIS and f/2.45 aperture for selfies and video calling. The vanilla OnePlus 8 gets a triple camera setup that comprises of a 48MP Sony IMX586 primary sensor, a 2MP macro sensor, and a 16MP ultra-wide sensor.
Software-wise, both the models ship with Android 10 and the latest OxygenOS with features like Dark Theme 2.0. The regular OnePlus 8 gets a 4,300mAh battery and supports 30W Warp Charge 30T fast charging. The OnePlus 8 Pro gets a bigger 4,510mAh battery and supports 30W wired and wireless charging.