Following Airtel, Vi, and Jio prepaid plans price hike, there has been a huge cry among users to switch to BSNL. Per Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the state-owned telco gained more than 1 million new subscribers since the price hike. If you also wish to make a switch to BSNL from another network like Airtel, Jio or Vi, you can avail of Mobile Number Portability aka MNP facility. The facility enables you to port to BSNL without the need of changing your existing number. Read on to learn about the process of porting your Airtel, Jio or Vi mobile number to BSNL. But before we get into how, let’s discuss the benefits of choosing BSNL plans in India.
Why port your mobile number to BSNL?
First and foremost, BSNL has the cheapest and most reasonable prepaid and postpaid plans in India as compared to private telecom players like Airtel, Jio and Vi. Its postpaid plans are available for as low as Rs 199, while its prepaid plans with data and unlimited calling start from Rs 147. Value-added services like national and international roaming, SMS packs, 3G services at competitive rates, and more further make BSNL an attractive option for budget-friendly mobile users. Another great news for BSNL customers is that the network is finally gearing up to launch pan India 4G services sometime around Independence Day 2022.
How to port to BSNL from Airtel, Jio, and Vi
Please make a note that you’ll have to visit your nearest customer service centre, retailer or authorised franchisee to place the MNP request as BSNL currently does not offer the facility to port your number online.
Here are the steps for porting from Airtel, Jio or Vi to BSNL.
- From the number that you wish to port, send an SMS in the format “Port<space>10-digit mobile number” to 1900 to obtain a UPC (Unique Porting Code). In case you’re a J&K prepaid mobile user, dial 1900 instead of sending an SMS.
- You’ll immediately receive an SMS on your mobile number containing your UPC and expiry date. This code shall be valid for a period of 15 days from the date of MNP request for all service areas except J&K, Assam and North East. The UPC validity for these areas shall be for a period of 30 days from the date of request.
- The next step is to visit your nearest BSNL CSC (Customer Service Centre), retailer or authorised franchisee, and fill out a Customer Application Form (CAF) to initiate the MNP process. Don’t forget to carry a valid identity and address proof.
- Once your digital KYC is done, a new BSNL SIM card will be issued to you. You’ll also be notified of the porting date and time upon MNP request approval.
- Change your SIM card at the said time once your existing network is disconnected. In case of any issues, you can dial BSNL toll-free number 1800-180-1503.
What are the charges for porting my number to BSNL?
As of now, BSNL doesn’t charge any processing fee from mobile users for the MNP facility.
How long does it take to port an existing number to BSNL?
Once your MNP request is approved, it takes a minimum of 3 days and a maximum of 5 days for SIM activation. Port-in requests from J&K, Assam and North East licensed areas to take up to 15 working days for processing.
How can I track the status of my BSNL MNP request?
You can reach out to a customer care executive on BSNL toll-free number 1800-180-1503 or visit your nearest BSNL CSC, retailer or authorised franchisee in the same telecom circle for an update on the status of your MNP request.
Is there any eligibility criteria for porting a mobile number?
Yes, there are a few pre-requisites that need to be fulfilled for placing an MNP request.
- A period of 90 days must be completed with your current operator
- No outstanding dues with your existing telecom operator
- No pending request for change of ownership of the mobile number
- The mobile number should not be sub-judice (related to any pending court case)
- No contractual obligations as per the subscriber agreement