A ration card is an official document issued by the state government to households eligible for subsidised food grain from the Public Distribution System (PDS) under the National Food Security Act. It can also be used as ID proof for making a Domicile certificate, Birth certificate, and Voter ID card, among other things. The ration card form can now be procured online. Additionally, individuals can also check ration card status, add names, download e-ration card, and link ration card with Aadhaar card via the respective state government’s websites. If you’re wondering how? Fret not, we’ve got you covered. Here is how to apply for a ration card online, check its status, and more.
Who is eligible for ration card in India?
- Should be a citizen of India and not hold a ration card of any other state
- User should be above 18 years of age to apply for a ration card – minors/ children below 18 years of age can be included under their parents’ ration card
- Should live and cook separately
- Applicant and member of the family must be close relatives and should not possess any other family card in the same state.
That said, the government issues two types of ration cards: the Below Poverty-Line (BPL) ration card and the non-BPL ration card. The BPS ration card comprises Blue/ Yellow/ Green/ Red Ration cards separated by colours depending upon entitlement to various subsidies on food, fuel and other goods. The non-BPL ration cards are white in colour and issued to people above the poverty line.
Ration Card Status: how to check ration card list
Since the state issues the ration card, the URL you need to visit to check ration card status varies. The URL for UP’s ration card website, for example, will be different from that of Delhi. You can look for the URL of your respective state, whether it’s Bihar, Delhi, Arunachal Pradesh (AP), Assam, or West Bengal, via National Food Security Portal (NFSA). Here are ration card website links of some of the popular states:
- Delhi ration card
- UP ration card
- AP ration card (Andhra Pradesh)
- Bihar ration card
- Assam ration card
- Telangana ration card
- West Bengal ration card
- HP ration card
- Tamil Nadu ration card
- Kerala ration card
- Karnataka ration card
- J&K ration card
How to search name on ration card list
Using Uttar Pradesh (UP) as an example, we’ll show you how to check ration card list online
- Select Uttar Pradesh from NFSA portal
- The National Food Security Act (NFSA) eligibility list will pop-up on your screen
- Choose the district –> Town –> Area/ Urban
- The shopkeeper’s list will appear on your screen. You can check your name and other details, by clicking on the numbers next to the shopkeeper’s name in the Ration Card column
If you can’t find your name on the list, search it using the browser’s find tool. Press Cltr+F on a Windows laptop/ PC (‘Command+F’ on Mac) and enter your name or Digitised ration card number.
How to apply for ration card
Again the steps to apply for ration varies state-wise. If you’re living in UP, here’s how you can apply for ration card:
- First, click on this link https://nfsa.gov.in/portal/Ration_Card_State_Portals_AA to visit NFSA portal.
- Choose Uttar Pradesh from the list
- You’ll be redirected to UP’s ration card portal. The language of the portal is set as Hindi by default, but if you’re using Chrome, you can translate it to English by clicking on the ‘Translate this page’ option
- Click on the ‘Home’ button above ‘National Food Security Act (NFSA) eligibility list’
- From the top menu, select the ‘Download Form’ option
- Three options will appear on the screen: Ration card application form for migrant workers, Ration card application form (for rural areas), and Ration card application form (for urban area). Select the category where you belong
- Download and take the print out the form –> fill in the details –> and attach all important documents
- Lastly, visit the regional CSC centre or Tehsil centre to submit the application form
Documents required to apply for ration card are usually as follows
- Aadhaar card
- Mobile number
- Passport size photograph of family members who reside in your house
- PAN card
- Previous electricity bills
- Your income certificates
- Caste/category certificate (if any)
- Bank passbook and a photocopy of the first page of your passbook.
- Details of your gas connection
One Nation One Ration card
One Nation One Ration card is the government of India initiative for migrant workers or anyone who stays away from their home state.
- Through this scheme, beneficiaries can claim their rations anywhere in the country.
- The One Nation One Ration card has been implemented across India in 32 states so far.
- The Union Government recently launched Mera Ration app to support the scheme.
- The app allows users to check what they are entitled to, locate nearby ration shops etc. It also supports biometric authentication.
- The Mera Ration app is only on Android for now. All Indian citizens can register themselves on the app to get food grains at subsidised prices.
- The app comes with Aadhar-based login and is available in both Hindi and English. Support for 14 regional languages is expected to come soon.
“The system was initially started in four states in August 2019 and was then rolled out to 32 states and union territories by December last year. The only states not on the roster right now include Assam, Chhattisgarh, Delhi and West Bengal and these four are expected to be included over the next few months,” said Secretary of the Department of Food and Public Distribution Sudhanshu Pandey.
How to add name in ration card
Beneficiaries can add a new name to an existing ration card by visiting their state government’s official food and civil supply department website. Look for the ‘addition of new members’ link. In case, you can’t find the link, head to your nearby zonal office. Download the online form and submit it with the necessary documents to the nearby Zonal / Mamlatdar office. Once the verification of documents and information is complete, the name will be added to the ration card.
e-Ration card: How to download ration card
You can download the e-Ration card on your device for online use. For this, head to your state government’s food and civil supply department website –> select ‘Get e-Ration Card’ –> Enter your details like ration card number, name of the head of the family (HOF), and year of birth of HoF, among other things –> and click on Continue. If the details are correct, you’ll get the option to download a ration card on the device.
How to link ration card with Aadhaar
- To link your ration card with Aadhaar, go to the nearby PDS centre or ration shop
- Carry photocopies of your ration card along with copies of Aadhaar Card of all your family members and a passport size photograph of the head of the family.
- You may also have to produce a copy of your bank passbook, if the bank account is not linked with Aadhaar
- The representative might ask you for fingerprint authentication to link the ration card with Aadhaar. An OTP would also be sent to your registered mobile number.
The authorities will process all your documents and the notification will appear once your ration card is successfully linked to the Aadhaar cards.