SBI ATM card block is the very first thing you should do as soon as you lose its possession. This will prevent SBI debit card misuse or financial fraud if it gets into the wrong hands. To make it easy for you, the State Bank of India (SBI) allows its customers to block or deactivate their debit cards using one of its many methods. If you are wondering how we have got you covered. Below is an easy step-by-step guide on how to block your SBI ATM card online or via call and SMS.
Note: Blocking the SBI debit card will render it useless. Neither you nor anyone else will be able to use the card to withdraw money from the ATM or use it in a POS machine. You will have to apply for a new SBI card to use these services.
SBI debit card block
Mentioned below are all the methods you can follow to block your SBI ATM card before it falls into the wrong hands. Before we get to that, you need the following details: net banking ID and password for the online method; cheque book and passbook for SBI ATM block via toll-free number; last four-digit for debit card for SMS method.
How to block SBI ATM card online via netbanking
If you have your SBI net banking setup, this method is also pretty straightforward. Here’s how to block your debit card via net banking.
- Go to SBI’s official net banking website here and log in with your registered email and password
- Once logged in, under ‘E-services’ you’ll find the option of ‘Block ATM card’. Select it.
- Now on the next screen select the bank account number of which you want to block the debit card.
- It’ll prompt you to choose the reason for blocking from the dropdown menu.
- Next, for verification you’ll need to enter the OTP sent to the registered mobile number via SMS
- Enter the OTP and hit ‘Confirm’ to block your SBI debit card. A ticket number will also be generated upon confirmation.
This ticket number can be used for future references in case of queries related to the blocking of your debit card.
How to block SBI ATM card via YONO app
State Bank of India offers an all in one app to digitally manage your bank account and view several important stats such as bank statements, balance and more. This app also allows the account holder to block their SBI debit card in case of any mishappening. Here’s how to do exactly that.
- If you haven’t installed the YONO app, do so by heading over to the Play Store or App Store for an Android phone and iPhone respectively.
- Log in to the app using your registered email address or phone number
- Now scroll down to the bottom of the app and under ‘Quick links’ you’ll find ‘Service request”‘. Select it.
- On the next screen, select ‘ATM/Debit card’. It’ll prompt you to enter your Internet banking profile password.
- Once entered, you’ll have to select ‘block card’ on the next screen
- For verification, it’ll send an OTP via SMS. Enter the OTP and hit ‘Submit’
How to block SBI debit card block by calling toll free number
The easiest method to block your SBI debit card. You just need to call a toll-free number from a registered mobile number and must have your SBI bank account number ready. The bank account number is mentioned on the provided cheque book and passbook.
- Open the phone app
- Then dial 1800 112 211 from your registered phone number
- Once the call connects, you’ll have to select the options as provided by IVRS
- Select the option which states ‘block debit card’
- In the next step, it’ll ask you to enter the last 5 digit numbers of your bank account
- Once blocked, a confirmation will be sent to you via SMS
How to block SBI debit card by SMS
Blocking an SBI debit card by SMS is also pretty straightforward. But keep in mind that you DO need the last four digits of the card to be ready with you. Here’s how to go about it.
- Open the Messages app on your phone
- Send ‘BLOCK <last four digits of debit card>’ to 567676
- Once sent, you’ll receive a confirmation SMS along with date & time of blocking and a ticket number. This ticket number can be used for future references in case of queries related to the blocking of your debit card.
With that, we’ve guided you through all the methods you can perform to block your SBI debit card in case it gets lost or stolen.
Why block SBI debit card?
Since your SBI debit card is used to make a financial transaction, you may want to block or deactivate it if the card gets into the wrong hands. A person with wrong intentions may use the debit card to withdraw money or use it on a Point of Sale (POS) machine or online transactions that don’t require a PIN or an OTP. So before that happens, you must inform the bank and perform measures on your own such as blocking the card right away.
How to re-issue for SBI ATM card
You can place the request for the re-issue of the SBI debit card online sbicard.com, SBI card mobile app, official email to sbicard.com/email, and helpline number 1800 425 3800. Here’s how it done via online and SBI card app:
- Fire up your browser and open the official website, i.e. sbicard.com.
- Click on the request’ tab.
- Choose on the reissue/ replace card.
- Select the card number.
- Click on the submit button.
SBI Card app
- Log in to the SBI card mobile app, if you haven’t
- Choose the menu button.
- Click on the service request option.
- Select the reissue-replace card option.
- Select the card number.
- Hit the submit button.