Truecaller: Arguably the most popular caller ID app for mobile phones. The app can also be used to send and receive messages, make calls via the internet, block spammers, forward flash messages, and transfer money using UPI. However, users extensively use Truecaller to identify the details of a caller whose information is not saved on your mobile phone. As much as you can see details of other people, others can also see your details via the Truecaller app. In case, your name is appearing wrongly on Truecaller, you can change it from the app. Additionally, there is an option to deactivate or unlist Truecaller account once and for all. Below are the steps on how to change name in Truecaller and how to delete Truecaller account, but before we jump to them let’s take a quick look at how Truecaller works:
How Truecaller works
For starters, Truecaller needs an active internet connection to identify the details of the users. The details are crowdsourced through various phone directory providers globally, social networks, and suggested names from Truecaller community. Additionally, as part of Truecaller’s end-user agreement, users have to allow the app access to their address book/ contacts. Truecaller says this is needed for three reasons firstly, Truecaller is also a dialer app, so it needs access to contacts in order to make calls within the app. Secondly, Truecaller lets you save names/numbers you search for to contacts with ease. Third, Truecaller will be able to show you the name of the contacts you have saved when receiving the call rather than show the names suggested by Truecaller users.
How to change name in Truecaller using the app
- To change the name in Truecaller, open the app on your mobile phone
- Presuming that you’ve already logged in with your details, tap on the ‘hamburger icon’
- If you’re using an Android mobile phone, select the pencil icon next to your name from the menu. iPhone users can change the name in Truecaller by tapping on the ‘Edit Profile’ option
- Input your first name and last name in the respective fields as you want them to appear on Truecaller
That’s it! The new name will be updated on the Truecaller database.
How to change name in Truecaller on desktop
- If you want to change name in Truecaller using a desktop, log in with your details on the Truecaller website
- Search your number and click on the ‘Suggest name’ option
- Input the correct name and hit save
Truecaller will automatically pick up the right name in a day or two. Truecaller also suggests sending an email with your phone number including the country code and name that you wish to reflect on its database.
Truecaller Unlist: How to delete Truecaller account
To remove your name or delete Truecaller account
- Open the Truecaller app, tap on the ‘hamburger icon’ and look for Settings
- Go to ‘Privacy Center’
- Scroll down to ‘Manage Social Login’ and select ‘Deactivate’
- A window will pop-up notifying that ‘By deactivating your account, your data will be deleted. Do you wish to continue?’. Tap on ‘Yes’ to proceed
Your number will be deactivated from Truecaller, but that’s only half the job done. You would also like to unlist your number from the Truecaller database to truly protect your privacy.
Unlist phone number from Truecaller
- After the account is deactivated, go to the official Truecaller Unlist page to request the delisting
- Enter your mobile number with the correct country code
- Click ‘Analyst’, choose the option and describe why you want to delete your Truecaller account
- Enter the verification Captcha code
- Click on Unlist option
Truecaller says that your number will be unlisted within 24 hours after receiving the request. You can check it by searching your number on someone else’s Truecaller app. If your number is still visible try clearing the cache (saved) on the device you are searching on.