- Microsoft has introduced UPI as a payment option on the Xbox Store.
- This move aims to offer additional payment choices for potential users.
- However, 91mobiles could not independently verify this claim.
Facing problems with limited payment options, Microsoft has reportedly rolled out Unified Payments Interface (UPI) as a payment method on the Xbox Store in India to provide more choices for potential users. Before, users could only purchase games by adding funds to their Microsoft balance or using Visa and Mastercard.
Follow us on WhatsApp, Click to Join
However, 91mobiles could not independently verify the claim, but reports on X (formerly Twitter) state that UPI is being rolled out gradually to all users.
Xbox Store UPI payment details
- A user on X, going by the name Xbox India, posted a screenshot of payment options on the Xbox Store.
- The user noted that the introduction of UPI as a payment method is happening gradually, and only a limited number of users currently have access to this option.
As per industry experts and gaming enthusiasts, Xbox’s implementation of this feature is expected to set a precedent within the community. Notably, rivals such as PlayStation and Steam currently lack this capability. This move indicates that Xbox is now actively addressing the Indian gaming market, taking steps to strengthen its presence in the region.
As reported by IGN early this year, Xbox conducted a survey through the Xbox Insiders Hub app, where users expressed difficulties paying for services and requested additional payment methods. The survey participants specifically asked for more options, including Wallets, Paytm, UPI, and PayPal.
Following this, Arjun Varma, the Global Expansion Incubator (GXI) Manager at Xbox Gaming during IGDC 2022, mentioned that the Xbox team is addressing the limited payment choices in India. Varma suggested that Microsoft might introduce new features for Xbox users in response to the feedback received in the survey.