[Update] 8-year-old Kerala girl dies as mobile phone explodes while watching video, Xiaomi reacts

  • An 8-year Kerala girl allegedly died after a mobile phone explosion in her face.
  • Adithyasree was a student in class 3 at the local school.
  • Xiaomi has come forward and released a statement.

Update: While the moniker of the phone is unconfirmed, Xiaomi India has reacted to speculations that the accident involved a Redmi phone. At Xiaomi India, customer safety is of utmost importance and we take such matters extremely seriously. We stand with the family in this time of difficulty and hope to support them in any way possible. There are some reports that this is a Redmi phone which is yet to be established, given the matter is currently being investigated. We will work with the authorities to determine the actual cause of the incident and will support them in any required manner,” said the company.

Show Full Article

In yet another instance of a smartphone catching fire, an eight-year-old girl in Kerala died when the mobile phone she was using allegedly exploded while she was watching a video, as per the police. This incident comes after a boy in Baduan, Uttar Pradesh, reportedly died due to an electric shock while his phone was charging, last week. A couple of months ago, a man in Madhya Pradesh’s Ujjain district died after the battery of his mobile phone allegedly exploded in yet another smartphone-related-casualty.

Xiaomi 11 Lite Ne 5G-3
Representative image

Kerala girl dies of a mobile explosion

Going into details, Adithyasree, a resident of Kerala’s Thiruvilvamala was using the phone at night at around 10:30 PM on Monday when the phone exploded in her face, the police told news agency PTI. Adithyasree was a student in class 3 at the local school. The police have registered a case and a probe is currently on.

However, smartphone buyers need to be educated about the consequences that might happen because of any unauthorised third-party repairs that might cause heating and lead to explosions of mobile phones. Buyers shouldn’t fiddle with the internals of a phone and neither should they take it for repair to third-party centres.