Instagram is a communication platform replete with video calls, stories, reels, and much more. Nowadays, posts are hybrid – you can add music to stories, reels, videos, and images. The Instagram music feature was originally launched back in 2018, but it has been available in India since 2019. Want your favourite soundtrack to accompany your upload? You have thousands of choices of various songs on Instagram to pick from. So, how do you add music to stories, reels, videos, and images? Read on to find out.
How to add music to Instagram Story with and without stickers
Adding a soundtrack to your Instagram stories is popular among IG users. Music helps develop the mood for the story, making it more engaging and appealing. Your account becomes a mini music video. However, adding the music to your IG story leaves the music sticker on it.
Without sticker album
If you want to add music to your IG story without the sticker, read on.
- Launch the IG app and click on the “Create” button.
- Select the “Story” option from the dropdown menu and go about creating one.
- Whether you want to upload a picture or video from your smartphone gallery or click a fresh one using Instagram’s camera, the choice is yours.
- Now you may start editing your IG stories. This may be done in two ways.
- One way is to click the ‘Sticker” icon to pull up a menu where you may add different stickers to your IG story – icons, filters, GIFs, and music.
- Another way entails swiping your finger from the bottom of the screen to pull up the “Sticker’ menu. If you want to add music, click the “Music” sticker.
- Upon entering the ‘Music’ menu, pick from the available playlist. Scroll in either direction or use the search bar. Tap on the preview button to audition the song.
- After picking a music track, tap and select it.
- Edit the song length and select the part of the song you want to be played by using the slider bar.
- If you want, add lyrics or change the album image. Once done, click “Done.”
- However, if you want to add music without the sticker appearing, make the album image smaller by pinching it.
- After resizing it, drag this album image towards the edge of the story frame till it goes out of view.
- This gives the illusion of hiding the sticker behind your IG story.
- Publish the story.
- Once you view this story, you’ll see the sticker is entirely out of sight.
With sticker album
However, sometimes if you want the sticker to stay, here’s what you should do.
- Open the app.
- Tap the story icon on the top-left corner of your screen.
- Upload your story by swiping up and accessing your camera roll, or shoot a fresh one with the story camera.
- Press the sticker button at the top of the screen or swipe up.
- Click the music button.
- Now, type the song you want in the search bar or browse via mood, genre preference, or what’s famous for the day.
- Press the song and add it to your story.
- Click on “Done” in the screen’s top right corner.
- Move your sticker wherever you want to place it on your stories.
- Press the “Your Story” button at the bottom left of the screen.
How to add music to Instagram images and videos
Sometimes you may want to create an Instagram feed post with music. Here’s what you should do.
- Click on the “Create” button on the top right corner of the screen and select “Post.”
- Select a photo from the gallery that pops up. If you want to select pictures from somewhere else, click Gallery,” and you will see a list of places you have photos.
- Select a picture and click on the arrow on the top right corner of the screen.
- In the next step, you can put a filter or carry out edits for contrast, brightness, structure, warmth, etc.
- Click on the arrow on the top right side of the screen – this brings you to the final page before upload.
- There you have an option to add music. Click on it.
- Select the song that you want to add, and choose which part of the song you want to use.
- Tap the check mark on the top right side of the screen.
- Your post is ready for upload. With music.
As of now, Instagram restricts adding audio to stories, pictures, and reels. If you want to make an original video with music in the background, use a video editor, add your soundtrack, and upload the result.
How to add music to Instagram Reels
Like stories, there are many ways to add music to your IG reels. You may use either the IG app or an online video editor. The simplest way to add music to any reel is to add a track from within the app itself. If you are making a reel on something currently trending, use the IG app to add the original music source for a broader reach. This gets your content discovered on the explore page for that trend.
- Shoot your video on IG itself or upload a video to the app. Once your video is ready, it’s time to upload it to IG. Launch the IG app, click on the “Create” icon and navigate to Reels.
- Click on the “Browse” icon at the bottom left corner of your screen, or swipe up and upload your video. Once the video is uploaded, you should see it on the net. If you don’t, just tap the ‘preview” button.
- Next, click the “music” icon in the top menu of the screen.
- You’ll see a screen with two audio sources if your video already has some sound. Reduce the camera audio, then click the “Add Music” icon on the screen to add any song to your reel.
- Select the song you want on your reel. IG will display a list of the latest songs trending for reels; try a preview of these.
- Click on the screen, scroll through the lyrics, and edit your music to fit the reel. You can use the toggle bar at the bottom of the screen to edit the music.
- If you aren’t satisfied and want to change the music, click on ‘delete” and add a new song. Once you are done fine-tuning the music, tap on “Done.”
- Audio controls will show up again, just drag them up or down to adjust the volume. Adjust the original video sound as the sound of the music, so they don’t clash.
- Once the edits are done, tap on “Next” and share your video to IG reels.
How to add music to Instagram posts using music apps
You cannot add music from music apps as a post on IG. What you can do, however, is share what you’re currently listening to in your stories so others can get a glimpse into your musical tastes! Here are some popular apps and how you can do this.
This app is top-rated, and you’ll often see people sharing their Spotify music on their IG. To share what you’re listening to in stories, navigate to the “Now Playing” page. Tap on the three dots on the top right side of the screen. From the options that come up, choose share. Another bunch of options will come up, and you must select ‘Stories.’ You’ll then be redirected to IG, where you should see the album art of the song you shared in your stories. Click on next and publish the story.
Shazam – On Shazam, navigate to the “Now Playing” page. You should see three dots on the top right, next to a share icon. Now, either click the share icon and choose “Stories”, or click the three dots, navigate to ‘Share,” and choose “Stories”. The app will now navigate out of Shazam and to IG. There, click ‘Next” and publish your story.
SoundCloud – On SoundCloud, tap the share icon at the bottom of the screen. The option to share stories will pop up with other options. Choose “Stories.” You’ll be redirected to Instagram. There, click ‘Next’ and publish your account.
How to add music to Instagram using third-party apps
Many video editing platforms allow you to add your soundtrack to your video. Some of them are
Filmora video editor for Windows and Mac is the best software for video editing and adding background music to videos. It has a music library with around 100 songs. This editor allows you to make movies, edit audio, apply effects, and more to make a cool video using this tool. What’s more, this tool will enable you to instantly export to Instagram to show your work.
This free background music software supports MOV, WMV, and AVI. All soundtracks are free, and it takes minimal effort to add them as background music for your video.
This background music software is for both Windows and Mac. Choose the soundtrack you want but first, sign up so you can add them to a video of your choice.
You can easily add background music to your video. This tool allows the user to create a slideshow movie to synchronise with the background music.
Add background music or your narration to your video. This software is super flexible and supports WMV format for video.
How to add music to Instagram without copyright issues
While you can use third-party apps to add music to your Instagram videos, the copyright issues often come to the front. Here’s how you can circumvent them:
Give credits to the owner and composer
When you repost content to Instagram, mention the owner and declare that the content you initially put up isn’t yours. This is what IG wants from users. If you want to use the app without getting banned, pay attention to laws and give full credit to the owner to avoid getting reported and help the original composer.
Ask before sharing
If you want to avoid a mess, ask permission from the music producer before sharing their work. This will prevent your video from being deleted. Send a DM, and ask permission.
Use free and non-copyrighted music
Use music that doesn’t need copyright. Many websites provide royalty-free music, so use them and add them to your videos.
Can I add music to IG stories?
Yes, you may choose from the existing soundtracks. Select from a playlist or key in the name of the song you want. You can preview it by clicking the tiny play button next to each piece.
Can I add music to IG posts?
No, you cannot add music to still posts. However, you may add songs to reels and stories.
Will a copyright issue exist if I use a famous song in my stories?
No, as the song is chosen from Instagram’s library itself. However, if you have used a third-party app to make the video and included the background score, then give credits.
What are some video editing tools I can use to make exciting content for IG?
Filmora, iMovie, Smilebox, and others are the tools you can use to craft your own videos and upload them on Instagram.
Are Instagram videos and reels the same thing?
Yes, as all videos are now uploaded as reels.
How to add music with lyrics to Instagram posts?
Choose the video and open Instagram – Select the video for which you wish to add lyrics. Go to the create option. Upload the media just like you would when sharing a story. This media must be the video you want lyrics to show up on. After selecting the video, select “Music” from the available stickers.
Select the music – Select the song you wish to add and from the options on the bottom, choose a style for the lyrics. If your video has been split into two stories, you need to add the lyrics in both clips. Ensure you mark where the song ends in the first clip so the lyrics in both clips remain in sync. Save this story, and don’t post it yet. It will get saved without the music, but that’s fine.
Upload the video, add the music and post it on reels – Navigate to the reels tab to post a video as a reel and upload the IG story you saved with the lyrics. Add the song whose lyrics you’ve added. Place it so that the lyrics and the song in the background are in sync.
Where is the Instagram music library?
Instagram has its in-app music library with thousands of songs for you to choose from when you’re uploading your stories/reels. To access this library, create an account, click on the ‘Music’ sticker, and browse the choices of songs that come up. Alternatively, if you’re looking for a specific song, search for it.
Can I use YouTube audio library on Instagram?
Instagram has a feature for adding music to videos however you can only choose from the selection of music Instagram provides. This is all licensed copyrighted music, not creative commons audio, from YouTube Audio Library. You’ll need some editing software if you found something on YouTube Audio Library that you like and want to use. What editing software you choose depends on what floats your boat. Since you want to use YouTube Audio Library with Instagram, look for a mobile video editing app. Some of them are –
Once you have a video editing app, you’re used to, head over to YouTube Studio and the YouTube Audio Library. Find the audio you wish to use, download it, and put it into the editing app. Make your video and upload it to Instagram.
Where can I get free music for Instagram?
Free music for Instagram, whether reels or stories, can be procured from websites that give out royalty-free music and loops. Many websites give out royalty-free music. Some of the more popular ones are:-
- PremiumBeat – This site provides a diverse collection of royalty-free music. With the assistance of their music industry experts, they’ve got over 10,000 tracks which you can segment by genre, artists, mood, BPM, and duration.
- Epidemic Sound – Working with some of the industry’s most talented musicians, Epidemic Sound has over 725 albums of royalty-free music spanning multiple genres allowing you to make high-quality soundtracks.
- Artlist – Artlists partners with indie artists to make original tracks, thus offering thousands of tracks filterable by mood, genre, instrument, theme, duration, and tempo.
- Music Vine – Music Vine has collaborated with around 160 independent musicians to create more than 2500 tracks which can be segmented by energy, mood, style, vocals, and duration.
- Soundstripe – This site has partnered with more than 80 artists to create songs that you may filter by genre, mood, pace, instruments, key, vocals, BPM, and duration. There are also over 50 playlists, including genres like action, sport, and weddings.
Why can’t I add music to my Instagram Stories?
If you live in a nation with IG music, the sticker should be in Stories. If you still can’t find the IG music sticker in your IG Camera, ensure your app is updated with the latest version of IG. If you still don’t see the sticker, sign out of the app and force-quit, then open Instagram and sign back in. If that doesn’t work, delete the app, reinstall it, and sign in again. Once you access the feature, you’ll find the music sticker in the IG camera.
How to edit the music sticker in Instagram Stories?
Once you upload a song to your Instagram Stories, it is possible to edit the music sticker to some extent. First, upload a picture and locate the music sticker among the others. Click on it and search for the soundtrack that you want to use. Then, click on the song to select it and enable it in stories. While the music is playing, you’ll see a multi-coloured dot next to the tiny album art on top of the screen. Tapping on the bubble will change the colour of the text in your music sticker. Please note. You cannot change the album art in the sticker because that comes preloaded by Instagram. You can simply change the font colour.