Instagram’s short video feature Reels is great and all, but it has one shortcoming. You can’t download Instagram Reels to save them on your phone for offline viewing or share them with others who aren’t on the platform yet. However, there is a workaround. Using third-party apps/ websites you can download almost any Instagram Reel on your device. Below is an easy step-by-step guide on how to download Instagram Reels on your mobile phone and laptop using some of these apps and websites.
What is Instagram Reels?
Reels is an Instagram feature that allows users to make TikTok-like short videos with dubbed dialogues and songs. The videos appear on your timeline, and unlike Instagram Stories, don’t disappear after 24 hours. Instagram recently extended Reels support to up to 60 seconds from 30 seconds. It also allows users to add music, AR effects, timers, countdown, align, and video speed to create unique and fun short videos. Despite being a TikTok clone, Instagram Reels has gained positive responses from content creators like influencers, brands, and users.
Instagram Reels, much like regular videos and photos, can only be watched online. However, using the aforementioned tools, you can download Instagram Reels video on your mobile phone/ laptop.
Instagram Reels: How to save Reels videos on your phone (official method)
You don’t need a third-party app to save Instagram Reels video for later use. This can be done via the official Instagram app.
- Open the Reels video, tap on the three-dot icon, and hit ‘Save’.
- Now, go to Instagram home screen –> tap your Profile icon –> then the hamburger/ three line icon –> Settings –> Account –> Saved, to access the saved Instagram Reels.
This will still consume data and can only be accessed via Instagram app. Follow the steps below to download Reels from Instagram and save them locally on your device.
Best online tools to download Instagram Reels video on Android, iOS Mobiles and Laptop
There are tons of Instagram Reels video download tools out there, but not all are good at what they do. We tried and tested a few of them, here are the best tools that you can use to download Instagram Reels video on your mobile phone and laptop.
Ingrammer: Best Instagram Reels downloader
Ingrammer can be used to download Instagram Reels video online on the device of your choice, including Android mobile phones, iPhone, Windows PC/ laptop, and Mac. It’s among the easy to use web tools out there and requires nothing but a browser that allows you to download files to save Instagram Reels videos on your device. Here’s how to use Ingrammer to download Instagram Reels video:
- To download Instagram Reels videos, head over to Instagram Reels page, tap on the ‘three-dot icon’ and select ‘Copy Link’
- Alternatively, you can visit a user’s profile –> navigate to the new Reels tab, which you’ll notice sits next to the IGTV tab –> select the Reels video that you’d like to download –> open it and then tap on the three-dot icon to copy the link
- Now, open your browser and visit Ingrammer.com. Look for ‘Tools’ and ‘Select Instagram downloader’
- Paste the Instagram Reels link in the box and hit the ‘Search’ button
- Scroll down a little to see the results
- Hit the ‘Download’ button below the video to save Reels video on your device. You can also play and check whether it’s the right video from the web page before downloading.
To access the Reels video head over to the ‘Downloads’ folder of your device.
Also Read: Instagram Vanish Mode: How to turn on/off Vanish Mode on Instagram
iGram: Best Instagram Reels video downloader with easy to use interface
It’s another web tool that you can use to download Instagram Reels videos. Much like Ingrammer, iGram works across platforms including Android, iOS, and Windows, and in addition to downloading short videos, it can be used to download Instagram photos, videos, and IGTV. Follow the steps below to learn how to download Instagram Reels video for free on mobile and laptop using iGram:
- Visit https://igram.io/
- Paste the Instagram Reels video in the ‘Insert Instagram Reels’ link here
- Select Download
- The tool will take some time to get the video
- Now, scroll down and choose the ‘Download.mp4’ option below the Instagram Reels to save the video on your mobile phone
Best Instagram Reels download tools
In case, the aforementioned Instagram Reels videos web tools are not working for you, here are some other tools that you can use:
Twitter video downloader app: Best app to download Instagram Reels on Android mobile phone
Don’t let the name confuse you. In addition to Twitter videos, the app also allows you to save Instagram Reels videos. The Twitter video downloader app is available for download for Android devices via Google Play Store. The app is free to use and lets you download endless Instagram Reels Videos on your mobile phone. Here’s how it works:
- From Google Play Store, install TwitterVideoDownloader app on your Android mobile phone to download Reels from Instagram. You can also use the app to download Twitter videos
- Open Instagram and copy the Reels link in the same manner as stated above – open the Reels video you wish to download –> tap on the ‘Three-dot icon’ –> and select ‘Copy Link’
- Now, go to TwitterVideoDownloader and paste the link and hit the ‘blue download button’ at the bottom right corner of the page
- Instagram Reels videos will be stored locally on your device. Go to the ‘Downloads’ folder or gallery app to access the video, which you can share with your friends and watch using any third-party video player as well.
Apart from TwitterVideoDownloader, Android mobile phone users can also use Story saver – Downloader for Instagram IG app to download Reels videos from Instagram.
Clipbox: Best Instagram Reels download app for iPhone users
If you are not a fan of the iPhone built-in screen recorder, you can use Clipbox app to download Instagram Reels videos. The app is available for download via App Store. To download Instagram Reels on iPhone using Clipbox,
- Copy the Instagram Reels video link that you wish to download
- Now, head to the app store
- Search for Clipboard and install the app on your device
- Launch the app and sign up
- Paste the copied Insta Reels URL in the video URL box and hit continue
- The app will then retrieve the video
- After this, you will get a preview of the video
- Hit the blue tick button, followed by ‘Save Clip’ to download Instagram Reels video on your device
Instagram Video Downloader: Best Instagram Reels downloader for Chrome users
Instagram Reels can be downloaded on the desktop using the web tool as well as Chrome extension Instagram Downloader. If you often download Instagram posts, this should be the must-have tool for desktop users. Let’s take a look at how this online tool works
- Head over to Chrome web store and search Instagram Video Downloader. Alternatively, click on this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/instagram-downloader/cpgaheeihidjmolbakklolchdplenjai?hl=en
- Select ‘Add to Chrome’ to add the extension to your Chrome browser
- After this, open the Instagram on your desktop –> sign-in with your details
- Unlike the app, Instagram’s desktop version doesn’t have a dedicated Reels section. But, you can access the short videos by going to the user’s profile and selecting the Reels tab next to IGTV.
- Expand the video by clicking on it
- Hit the download button next to the ‘Save’ icon to store Instagram Reels videos offline on your Windows/ macOS-powered desktop
The Instagram Reels videos will be saved on the last saved location or the ‘Downloads’ folder on your Windows laptop/ PC and Mac. The extension also offers the option to download all videos and photos on the Instagram account at once. For that, open the Instagram account whose files you wish to download and look for ‘Download All’ option.
Note: These are our best online web tools and apps to download Instagram Reels videos. You can use any other tools/ apps to save the videos locally on your mobile phone. The process would remain pretty much the same.
Can you download Instagram Reels video from private account?
Instagram Reels video download from the private account is only possible if it’s on your follower’s list. Otherwise, there is no provision to download Instagram Reels video from private account, at least for free. Ingramer asks for a subscription to save the video from the social networking site’s private account.
What is the video file format of Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels video supports only two video file formats at the moment: MP4 and MOV.
What is the maximum video file size of Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels video supports a maximum file size of 4GB. Anything north of that will end up making the video a little shabby on the social networking platform.
How to share Instagram Reels video on Facebook
Instagram allows you to share Reels videos to other apps like Facebook, without going through the trouble of downloading or saving them on your device. To share your Instagram Reels video on Facebook, follow the steps below
- Go to your Insta feed and open the Reels video
- Now, click on the three-dot icon and tap ‘Post to other apps’
- Toggle the button next to Facebook to share Instagram Reels video on Facebook