Last-minute travel plans? Well, you need not worry about getting a train reservation, thanks to the Tatkal scheme! The TATKAL scheme enables travellers to book their tickets one day in advance from the date of the journey; albeit for an additional charge over the normal ticket price. The best part is that Tatkal bookings are available for all travel classes, including Sleeper, 3A, 2A and Executive (the only exception being 1A). You can book a Tatkal ticket at a railway station or from the comfort of your home – through the IRCTC website, IRCTC Rail Connect app and Paytm app, to name a few. Read on to know how you can make your last-minute train travel woes go away with easy Tatkal ticket booking methods and more.
Tatkal ticket booking opening time
Tatkal ticket bookings for selected trains open one day prior to the date of the journey from the originating station. For those who wish to book a Tatkal ticket in AC class (2A/3A/CC/EC/3E), the booking commences at 10.00 am. On the other hand, non-AC class (SL/FC/2S) tickets in the Tatkal quota can be booked from 11.00 am onwards. For instance, if you wish to take the train which departs from its originating station on 14th January, Tatkal booking for its tickets will open on 13th January from 10.00 am for AC class and at 11.00 am for non-AC class.
IRCTC charges for Tatkal ticket booking
An additional fee is levied per passenger by IRCTC for all Tatkal bookings. This fee amounts to 30% of basic fare for all classes, with the exception of second class (sitting) where Tatkal charges have been fixed at the rate of 10%. Tatkal rates for all travel classes are subject to minimum and maximum fares. You can refer to the table provided below for details:
|Travel class||Minimum Tatkal Charges||Maximum Tatkal Charges|
|Second (Sitting)||Rs 10||Rs 15|
|Sleeper||Rs 100||Rs 200|
|AC Chair Car||Rs 125||Rs 225|
|AC 3 Tier||Rs 300||Rs 400|
|AC 2 Tier||Rs 400||Rs 500|
|Executive||Rs 400||Rs 500|
How to book IRCTC Tatkal train ticket on Paytm app
Before you go on to book a Tatkal train ticket through Paytm app, please note that the ticket bookings in Tatkal quota open 30 minutes after the IRCTC opening time on this platform. So, Tatkal booking on Paytm starts at 10.30 am for the AC class and 11.30 am for non-AC class.
- Open the Paytm app on your Android mobile phone or iPhone, scroll down and click on Train tickets under Ticket booking menu.
- Enter origin and destination city/station, select your travel date and tap the Search Trains button.
- Find your preferred train and click on Show tatkal to check the availability and fare of Tatkal tickets in different classes on your travel date.
- Choose your travel class and click on Book. You’ll be asked to enter your IRCTC User ID to proceed with the ticket booking on Paytm app.
Note: If you’re not registered on IRCTC, visit irctc.co.in to create your user account.
- Enter the traveller information, including gender, full name, age, berth preference, and nationality, tap Done and then Proceed to book.
- The screen that opens in the app will display the train details and passenger details for confirmation. Review the information and click on Proceed to pay.
- Select the preferred payment option (Paytm wallet, debit/credit cards, net banking, or UPI) and click on the Pay xxx button.
- Once the transaction is complete through the payment gateway, you’ll be asked to enter your IRCTC password to complete the ticket booking process.
You’ll receive the Tatkal e-ticket on the phone number and e-mail ID linked with your Paytm account. Download the e-ticket on your phone or print it out as per your convenience.
How to book IRCTC Tatkal train ticket on IRCTC website
If you have a PC/laptop handy, you can easily book IRCTC Tatkal train ticket through IRCTC website. As mentioned earlier, ticket booking in Tatkal quota open one day in advance.
- Open the IRCTC official website and go to LOGIN. In the window that opens, enter your username, password and captcha to sign in.
Note: If you’re not registered on IRCTC, scroll down the Login window and tap Register.
- Under Book Ticket, enter the From and To city/station, select your travel date and preferred travel class (if any) and then, choose Tatkal from the drop-down menu along the quota field. Tap Search to open a list of suitable trains as per your selection.
- Find your preferred train and click on the travel class under it to check the details of availability and fare of Tatkal ticket on your date of travel.
- Select the class you wish to travel in and click on the Book Now link.
- Enter the passenger details (name, age, gender, country, and berth preference) and edit the contact number if required
- Scroll down and select the payment mode of choice. Tap the Continue button.
- The page that opens will display all the details of the train and passenger details for confirmation. Review the information, enter the captcha and click on Continue.
- Choose the payment method from the list on the left, tap Pay & Book and complete the transaction to book the Tatkal ticket.
You’ll receive the Tatkal e-ticket on the phone number and e-mail ID linked with your IRCTC account. Download the e-ticket on your phone or print it out as per your convenience. Just the text message from IRCTC containing the train details is also enough for travel.
How to book IRCTC Tatkal train ticket on IRCTC app
IRCTC also has its own mobile app called IRCTC Rail Connect, which is available for download on both Google Play store and App store for Android and iPhone users, respectively. You can install this app on your smartphone to book Tatkal tickets even when you’re on the go.
- Open the IRCTC Rail Connect app on your Android mobile phone or iPhone. Click on Login on the top-left corner, enter your Username, Password and Captcha and tap Login.
Note: If you’re not registered on IRCTC, click on “Register User?” on the Login screen.
- You’ll be required to generate a PIN if you’re a first-time user on the app. Enter a 4-digit PIN twice and tap Submit. The next time you login, you’ll only need to enter this PIN.
- Select Trains > Book Ticket. On the screen that opens, enter the From and To station or city, select travel class and date, set quota as Tatkal and click on Search Trains.
- Find your preferred train and select the travel class under it to check the availability and fare details of Tatkal ticket on your date of travel.
- Select the class you wish to travel in and tap Passenger Details on the bottom.
- Click on Add New and enter the traveller details including name, age, gender, berth preference and nationality. Now, tap the Add Passenger button.
- Edit the passenger mobile number if required, scroll down and select the preferred payment method. Now, tap Review Journey Details.
- The screen will display all the train information, passenger details, selected payment method and any other relevant information. Cross-check everything, enter the captcha and click on Proceed to Pay.
- A pop-window will appear confirming if you wish to proceed with the ticket booking. Press Yes.
- Select the payment method of your preference, tap Pay Now and then, complete the transaction through the payment gateway to book the Tatkal ticket.
You’ll receive the Tatkal e-ticket on the phone number and e-mail ID linked with your IRCTC account. Download the e-ticket on your phone or print it out as per your convenience. You can also show your e-ticket directly from the IRCTC mobile app at the time of travel.
1. Are there any concessions in Tatkal scheme?
No. There is no provision for any form of concessions under the Tatkal quota.
2. Do I get refund for the cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets?
In case of cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets, no refund will be issued. However, there are a few exceptions where refund is awarded on confirmed Tatkal tickets:
- If the train is delayed by more than 3 hours from its originating station
- If the train is to run on a diverted route
- If the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the travel class as booked
3. What if my Tatkal ticket is not confirmed?
If your Tatkal train ticket remains waitlisted even after the preparation of the chart, it will be cancelled automatically and you’ll get full refund in your account. In case of cancellation of waitlisted Tatkal ticket, charges will be deducted as per existing railway rules.
4. How many days in advance can Tatkal ticket be booked?
Tatkal ticket can be booked one day in advance excluding the day of journey.
5. How many seats are allotted for Tatkal quota?
The number of seats earmarked for Tatkal quota differs across railway zones. However, as a general practice, IRCTC allots berths in Tatkal quota based on the following table:
|Travel class||Maximum Tatkal Accommodation|
|Second (Sitting)||10 percent of the accommodation|
|Sleeper||30 percent of the accommodation|
|AC Chair Car||16 seats per coach|
|AC 3 Tier||16 seats per coach|
|AC 2 Tier||10 seats per coach|
|Executive||5 seats per coach|
6. What are the various classes of travel available in Tatkal?
Tatkal bookings are available for all travel classes except AC First Class (1A).
7. How do I cancel Tatkal tickets?
To cancel your Tatkal ticket, Login to IRCTC > go to Cancel Ticket > select the Tatkal ticket > tap Cancel. Please note that Tatkal ticket can be cancelled only if it has a waiting/RAC status, up to 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train. In case of partial cancellation or cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets, no refund is issued by the IRCTC.
8. How many Tatkal tickets can be booked at once?
You can book up to two Tatkal tickets in a day for a maximum of 4 passengers per PNR.