There are many reasons why anyone would want to do a PAN card name change. Spelling mistakes, mismatch in Aadhaar card, and name change after marriage, to name a few. The PAN card name change process has been made easy by the Income Tax Department. PAN card users can change their names easily online from the comfort of their homes. If you are not sure how, below is an easy step-by-step guide on how to change the name in PAN card online along with fees that need to be paid and a list of documents required.
PAN card name change process
PAN card is one of the most important documents for Indian citizens, not just for tax-related matters but also as a proof of identity. This laminated card with a unique ten-digit alphanumeric code is issued by the Income Tax Department of India. However, if you have received your PAN card with an incorrect name or incomplete name or if you wish to update your name (for example after marriage or as per Aadhaar), then you need not worry as these issues can be resolved easily. Here’s how to go about it:
How to change name in PAN card online using Aadhaar
This is arguably the easiest way to change PAN card name online. If you wish to modify your name based on Aadhaar, here’s what you can do:
- Visit the official website of UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure Technology And Services Limited), click on PAN Card Services, and then click on Change/Correction in PAN Card. Next, click on Apply for Change/ Correction in PAN Card Details. You will be directed to the page of the Application for Change/Correction in PAN Data.
- Next, you will have to choose amongst the two available options – Physical(Forward Application with documents physically) and Digital (Paperless). Select latter, i.e. Digital (Paperless).
- Now click the box mentioning Aadhaar based e-KYC option (Details of the resident are fetched from the UIDAI Server based on the Aadhaar Number). On doing so, it automatically selects the option – Sign Using Aadhaar based eSign (Signing of the Application is done using Aadhaar based eSign).
- You now need to enter your PAN and also select the mode in which you wish to receive the updated PAN card – both physical PAN Card and e-PAN OR e-PAN only
- Then, click on Submit.
- In the application form, you need to fill in all the basic details and make the requisite payment.
- Next, Aadhaar authentication will take place on a real-time basis from the UIDAI server, after which the application will be processed further.
- For eKYC services, OTP will be sent to your UIDAI registered mobile number. After providing the OTP and consent in the requisite box, your address from the UIDAI database will be populated in the PAN form.
- Next, you need to verify the application data as well as provide other details and submit.
- You now will receive another OTP for eSign and on entering the OTP the application will be signed through Aadhaar based e-signature.
- The application will be saved and processed further by UTIITSL for PAN card name change using Aadhaar.
Note: You do not have to send any files or printouts for PAN card name change using Aadhaar to the UTIITSL office unless asked for any clarification.
How to change PAN card name online using documents other than Aadhaar
In case, you wish to change your PAN card name online without Aadhaar details, follow these steps
- Visit the official website of NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited (now Protean eGov Technologies Limited) or simply click here.
- Click on the Services tab and select PAN from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down to Change/Correction in the PAN Data section and click on Apply.
- You will be redirected to a new page, which is the online application form. Alternatively, you can click here to directly jump to the application form to change the name in your PAN card online.
- In the application form, you need to go to the Application Type section and select ‘Changes or Correction in existing PAN data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in Existing PAN Data)’ from the dropdown menu.
- Under the category section, you need to select the ‘Individual’ category if the PAN card is registered in your name.
- Next, fill in the requisite details, viz. name, date of birth, email address, and mobile number.
- Enter the Captcha Code and click on Submit.
- Upon your request for registration, you will receive a Token Number on your email address.
Submit your documents
- After this, click on the button given below to continue the process of PAN card name change.
- You will be directed to an online form that you need to fill out along with some documents. You need to fill all the columns of the application form and tick the box(es) on the left margin of the appropriate item where change/correction is to be done (in this case, tick the left margin box next to name).
- For submission of documents for PAN card name change, you will have three options, amongst which you need to click on ‘Submit scanned images through e-Sign’.
- Fill in the requisite details and click on ‘Next’. You will be redirected to a new page to update the address.
- Next, you need to update requisite documents, such as proof of address, proof of age, etc.
- Sign the declaration and click on ‘Submit’.
- You will be redirected to the payment page where you can make the payment through net banking, debit card, credit card, or demand draft.
- Once the payment is made successfully, you will receive an acknowledgement slip.
- Take a print of this acknowledgement slip, affix photographs in the provided space, and sign across it. Now, send the print of the form along with supporting documents to NSDL e-Gov (now Protean eGov Technologies Limited) office through courier or post.
- Mailing address: ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016
- (On the top of the envelope, write ‘APPLICATION FOR CHANGE REQUEST-Acknowledgment Number’). It should reach the NSDL office within 15 days of submission of the online application form.
On successful completion of the PAN card name change process, you will receive a new PAN card bearing the same PAN with updated details.
How to track PAN Card name change application
You can track the status of the application for PAN card name change by using the 15-digit acknowledgement number. You can do so online or through Interactive Voice Response (IVR) by calling 020-27218080.
Are there any fees to be paid for PAN card name change?
Yes, fees need to be paid for the PAN card name change. It is Rs 107 (inclusive of applicable taxes) if the communication address is in India, while it is Rs 1,017 (inclusive of applicable taxes) if the communication address is outside India.
What documents are required to make changes in PAN?
Following are the documents required for making changes to PAN card:
- Proof of PAN (the one currently in use)
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Proof of Date of Birth (for Individual and Karta of HUF)
- Proof in support of changes sought, such as PAN card name change.
- For PAN card name change of any female on account of marriage (any, one):
a) Marriage certificate
b) Marriage invitation card
c) Publication of name change in official gazette
d) Copy of passport showing husband’s name
e) Certificate from a gazetted officer
- For PAN card name change of any person for reason other than marriage, (any, one):
a) Publication of name change in official gazette
b) Certificate from a gazetted officer
- For PAN card name change of any female on account of marriage (any, one):
- Proof of PAN(s) surrendered if any.
Online application form for PAN card name change
Guidelines for filling PAN card name change application online
Instructions for filling PAN card name change application online
Documents required for filling PAN card name change application online
Do’s and Don’ts for filling PAN card name change application online
Brief process for online PAN card name change