PAN Aadhaar linking is mandatory for filing your Income Tax returns, opening an instant bank account online, and authenticating tax filings, among other things. If you haven’t done it yet, your PAN card will soon become invalid. Per the latest government notification, the PAN card of taxpayers who do not have their Aadhaar updated would no longer be valid after March 31st and will attract penalties. To prevent that from happening, we have created this guide for you to check Aadhaar-PAN link status, how to link them via online and offline methods, deadlines, fees, and more. Check it out.
Update March 28th: The last date to link Aadhaar card with PAN card has been extended to June 30th, 2023, per the latest government notification. This comes after many users complained that the link to check the Aadhaar-PAN status is not working for them on March 28th, 2023.
How to check if your PAN and Aadhaar Card are linked online
- Go to Income Tax Department website and this time look for ‘To view status if you already submitted link Aadhaar status‘
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar card number
- Hit ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’ button to check whether your PAN card has been linked to Aadhaar or not
How to link Aadhaar with PAN card online
To link PAN card with an Aadhar card online, make sure you have all the documents by your side. Additionally, you must have your mobile number registered with Aadhaar in case an OTP is sent for verification.
- To begin head to the Income Tax Department official website and click on ‘Link Aadhaar‘ under the Quick Links section.
- This will redirect you to a form, where you need to provide your PAN and Aadhar card number, along with your name as per Aadhaar.
- Quickly fill in the details, tick the “I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI” box, enter the captcha code, and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button at the bottom of the page. Visually challenged users can opt for the OTP option instead of the image captcha to proceed.
- Pay Rs 500 fine and submit your application
- Once submitted, a confirmation message will be displayed on your screen. Notably, an Aadhaar OTP will be sent to a registered mobile number in case the details won’t match with your PAN card
You may also visit https://www.utiitsl.com/ OR https://www.egov-nsdl.co.in/ to link your PAN and Aadhaar.
How to link PAN with Aadhar card via SMS
Additionally, users can also link PAN and Aadhaar cards by SMS. Just send the following message to 567678 or 56161: UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><SPACE><10 digit PAN>. Send the message using the registered mobile number.
How to link PAN card with Aadhaar card offline
The process of linking PAN with Aadhaar card can also be done offline. For that, you’ll have to visit PAN service provider centre, NSDL or UTIITSL, fill ‘Annexure-I’ form and produce supporting documents i.e. copy of PAN card and Aadhaar card. It’s worth mentioning that an individual will be asked to pay a prescribed fee. The online process, on the other hand, is free of cost.
Can you link Aadhaar with PAN for free?
The deadline to link PAN card with Aadhaar card online for free ended on March 31st, 2022. The Income Tax department then said that non-linking of PAN with Aadhaar would attract a penalty of up to Rs 1,000 past the deadline. Additionally, it said that the PAN will remain functional for one more year till March 2023, for filing ITR, claiming refunds and other I-T procedures.
Aadhaar-PAN link FAQs
1. What will happen if you don’t link your Aadhaar card with PAN card?
In addition to not being able to file ITR, your PAN will become inoperative if you don’t link your Aadhar card with PAN. Additionally, you may face a higher penalty for non-compliance and pay higher TDS or TCS.
2. Can I apply for a pan card without Aadhaar?
To apply for PAN online, Aadhaar is a must as the Income Tax department fetches data from the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to verify your identity details and complete the e-KYC process. You can apply for a PAN card without Aadhaar as well. For that, you’ll be required to send physical copies of your documents such as the Voter ID card, driving license, and passport, among others to the Income-tax department for verification.