Telegram has been around for a long time since its debut back in 2013. These days you have many privacy-centric messaging apps in the market that includes WhatsApp, Signal and more. But not everything has been hunky-dory for Telegram over the years, especially with regards to its famed privacy service. When the news came out that Telegram does not use end-to-end encryption by default, people had second thoughts over using the app. So if you are looking for ways on how to delete Telegram account on various devices, we have got you covered. Just follow these steps that will tell you how to delete Telegram on Android, iOS and PC.
Telegram account delete
It is worth noting that you can delete your Telegram account using multiple options. You can use the app on an Android phone or iPhone. Or else, you can head over to the Telegram website and follow the detailed instructions to delete Telegram account.
How to delete Telegram account permanently on Android
For mobile users, Telegram does not offer a direct way to delete Telegram account. Instead, you have to go through the deactivation process. This works through the self-destruct option available on the Telegram Android app. You can select the time frame based on which your Telegram account gets disabled. After this, all your contacts and messages will be gone forever.
Here are the steps to deactivate Telegram account on Android:
- Open Telegram on Android and click on Settings
- Over there, select Privacy and Security tab
- Scroll down to If Away for section to automatically delete account
- Select the idle time frame after which your Telegram account will be disabled forever. You can choose from 1, 3, 6 and 12 months. By default Telegram is set this to 6 months.
After doing this, if you do not use Telegram account for the selected time frame, Telegram will permanently delete your account on Android.
How to delete Telegram account permanently on iPhone
The steps to delete Telegram account permanently on iPhone are pretty much the same as Android mobile. Begin with, deactivating the account. This can be done through
- Open Telegram on iPhone and go to Settings
- Click on Privacy and Security
- Scroll over to If Away for option
- Click on 6 months to get more options, up to 12 months
If your Telegram account remains idle for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months, the Telegram account will be deleted along with all messages and contacts.
How to delete Telegram account using web browser
Deleting Telegram account takes a few months and people might not want to wait that long. So, for them, Telegram offers a quick solution that works out through any web browser. Follow these steps to delete Telegram account right away.
- Head over to the Telegram Deactivation page on any web browser. This can be done using both PC or mobile.
- Type the phone number using which your Telegram account was created. Add the country code before putting your mobile number and then click on Next.
- Now, you will get an alphanumeric code on the Telegram mobile app.
- Put the alphanumeric code to sign in to your Telegram account. Do not wait for any SMS code to move ahead.
- From the Telegram Core section, click on Delete Account option
- Telegram wants to know the reason behind you deleting the account. Answering this query is optional. After that click on Delete My Account
- Telegram will ask you once again if you surely want to delete Telegram account. If you still want to go ahead, click, Yes, delete my account to end your association with Telegram.
Now if you want to re-sign with Telegram for the account. You will have to start afresh.
How to delete messages in Telegram
If you want to delete Telegram messages not the account, there is an option for that as well. The messaging platform lets you delete messages that you send or receive. Just select the particular message/chat you want to delete. Long-tap on it for few seconds. Now you get the Delete icon on the top-right of the phone’s screen. Click on the icon and reconfirm that you wish to delete the message. This method works on both Android and iPhone.
How to delete Telegram message from group
Similarly, to delete Telegram message from a group sent by you, just long-tap the chat and press on delete to remove it from the chat trail. But if you want to delete other person’s chat, you will have to get approval from the admin of the Telegram group.
In case, you were made admin by some other person, ask them to give you the right to delete messages of other people by going to Manage Group – Administrators – Your Admin Profile. Now you can delete all the messages in a Telegram group.