Over the last few years, the popularity of Telegram has increased exponentially among social media messaging apps. This unique cloud-based messaging service not only allows its users to send messages, share files and make voice or video calls, but also offers features like access to bots, third-party clients, drop-in audio chats, and more. One such pivotal feature of Telegram is its broadcasting channels. Though they seem similar to groups, Telegram channels are not meant for conversations. They are a tool to broadcast messages to a large audience, with only the channel owner/admin allowed to post on them. Be it public or private, channels can have an unlimited number of subscribers.
If you are willing to be a part of a Telegram channel that matches your interest but are not sure how to find or join one, we’re here for you! Read on to know all about Telegram channels.
How to find a Telegram channel
Here’s how you can find a Telegram channel on anything and everything under the sun from entertainment and music to books to news and sports updates and more.
Via direct keyword search
- Open the Telegram app
- Tap on the magnifying glass icon on the top right corner of the screen
- Type a keyword (like a subject that interests you or a word or phrase associated with it) in the Search box. You’ll get a list of channels along with a number of subscribers
Via online repositories
A better way than direct keyword search on the app is to use online repositories where the Telegram channels are organised on the basis of topics and varied interests.
- Go to Google search engine and look for Telegram channels online repositories (For instance, https://tlgrm.eu/channels)
- Open the website and you’ll find a list of broader categories of channels
- Browse through the categories and explore multiple channels, view their number of subscribers, and even see their latest posts
How to join free Telegram channel
Now that you’ve found a Telegram channel that piques your interest, here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can join the same depending on the device you’re using.
- Open the Telegram app on your Android phone
- Click on the search icon on the top right corner of the screen
- In the Search bar, type the name of the Telegram channel that you wish to join
- Select it from the search results that appear under the Search bar
- On the page that opens, tap the Join button
- On your iPhone, open the Telegram app
- Select the Chats tab from the menu at the bottom of the screen
- Pull the screen down to view the Search bar on the top of the screen
- Type in the name of the Telegram channel that you wish to join
- Select it from the search results and tap Join
On PC/ laptop
- Go to your web browser, open Telegram Web and follow the on-screen instructions to login. Another option is to download Telegram Desktop app and install it on your Windows or MacOS computer
- Once you’ve set up Telegram on your PC, search for the channel you want to join. It is recommended to put an @ sign before the channel’s name for accurate results
- From the search results, click on the channel you wish to join to open it
- Now, tap on the three dots menu at the top right corner of the screen
- Click on Join channel
How to join Telegram channels with link
Telegram channels can also be joined via link. If you got a link via DM, tap on it, select Join, and voila, you have joined the Telegram channel.
The link method is mostly used for private Telegram channels where only a selected few are allowed. Public Telegram channels can be joined without link using the aforementioned methods for the respective devices.
1. How do I leave a Telegram channel?
On your Android phone, open the Telegram app > go to the channel you want to leave > tap the channel’s name at the top > click on the three dots menu on the top right corner > select Leave Channel. You’ll get a pop-up message to confirm, wherein tap on Leave Channel.
If you’re an iPhone user, open the Telegram channel you want to leave in the app > select its name on the top > tap on Leave button. In the pop-up window, click on Leave Channel.
2. Can I post on a Telegram channel?
You can only post on a Telegram channel if you are the channel owner or an admin.
3. Do I need a link to join a Telegram channel?
You only need an invite link if you wish to join a private channel. Public channels are open to everyone and do not need an invite link or approval from the admin for you to join.
4. Can I mute a Telegram channel?
Yes, you can mute a Telegram channel. Simply open the Telegram app on your phone (iOS or Android), go to the channel you want to mute and tap the Mute button at the bottom.