- Fake Xiaomi products worth Rs 33 lakh were seized from four suppliers
- A complaint was filed and raids were conducted in the market in Chennai and Bengaluru
- Xiaomi India asks users to purchase genuine products from authorised stores
Xiaomi announced on Monday that a total of Rs 33.3 lakhs worth of counterfeit Mi India products from four suppliers in Chennai and three suppliers in Bengaluru were seized. This comes as a part of the brand’s comprehensive proactive anti-counterfeit program. After a complaint was filed with the local police station, raids were conducted in the market in the months of October and November. Over 3000 products consisting of mobile back cases, headphones, power banks, chargers, and earphones, were found. The shop owners from both the cities were arrested for allegedly selling fake Xiaomi products worth Rs 24.9 lakhs and 8.4 lakhs, respectively. It’s found that suppliers have been managing this business for a long time and have sold multiple unauthorised products in the market.
Here’s how you can identify fake Xiaomi products
- The packaging and quality of retail boxes will be quite different. Xiaomi says that users can visit Mi Home/ Mi Store to validate the original packaging.
- Mi India logo will be present on the product to verify its authenticity. The original logo of the packaging can be seen on mi.com.
- All original fitness products such as Mi Band will have Mi Fit app compatibility.
- Unauthorised cables are often flimsy and break easily.
With the growing cases of counterfeit products in the country, Mi India has created a special task force that is responsible for constantly monitoring the market and acting against such cases. Xiaomi India says that buyers should be beware of such incidents and only purchase genuine products from authorised stores of the brand and partner outlets. It says that consumers only get their phones serviced through authorised service centres and use genuine parts only.