Mahindra has announced the formation of a new EV subsidiary focusing on marketing its world-class electric SUVs. Cars like e20 and e20 plus were also introduced and launched internationally but were soon discontinued. As we approached 2022, Tata motors became the leader in producing electric cars in India. Nexon EV is the major hit from that segment. Now that Mahindra has formed this new EV subsidiary, the company will launch electric four-wheel vehicles for the global market. The Mahindra XUV400 EV is expected to be one of the upcoming electric cars from the brand in early 2023.
Mr. Rajesh Jejurikar, the executive director of the auto & farm sectors of Mahindra & Mahindra, said they expected 20% to 30% of Mahindra SUVs to be electric by 2027. The company has very exciting plans to become the leader in the EV space. The UK event on 15th august 2022 will serve as a platform to share the company’s vision about the progress in the EV space. The XUV400 EV will be revealed in September 2022. It was showcased at the Delhi Auto Expo 2020. Here’s a quick look at the Mahindra XUV400 EV’s expected price in India, images, specifications, features, and more.
Mahindra XUV400 EV price in India (expected)
While there is no official announcement about the price yet, it is expected to lie in the range of Rs 14 lakh – Rs 16 lakh. Earlier, this electric SUV was called the ‘electric XUV300,’ but the name has been changed to XUV400 EV. This decision was taken by the company to make the electric version stand apart from the ICE XUV300 version.
Mahindra XUV400 EV images
Although we don’t have clear images of the Mahindra XUV400 EV, the company did showcase some concept SUVs recently and the XUV400 EV is expected to look similar to them, especially the XUV.E9.
Mahindra XUV400 EV features
- It will likely have a sunroof, rain-sensing wipers, dual-zone AC, and connected car tech. However, it could have a new unit touchscreen larger than the 7″ one in the standard XUV300.
- Safety – this electric SUV is expected to offer safety features, including multiple airbags, cornering brake control, and ABS (anti-lock braking system) with EBD (electronic brake force distribution).
- The XUV400 will be the first product with battery cells developed by LG Chemical. Mahindra has collaborated with this Korean battery manufacturer to develop batteries exclusively for Indian applications.
- XUV400 EV will come in two variants- regular and long-range versions.
- Another essential point is regarding the length of the electric SUV. XUV300 sits under the sub-4-meter mark, whereas the electric XUV400 doesn’t. That is because while the ICE models have tax benefits for being under the sub-4-meter mark, electric vehicles don’t. This could be a possible reason for the electric SUV getting its name. This extra length should open up more space in the boot and cabin.
- Changes in the floor panel are expected to accommodate the battery pack.
One more aspect in which the electric XUV400 will be different from XUV300 is its exterior design. The EV is expected to have distinctive elements such as bespoke alloys, a closed-off grille, and redesigned headlamps. The rear profile will show significant changes because of its extra length and the redesigned LED tail lamps exclusive to the electric XUV400.
Mahindra XUV400 EV specifications
- Transmission – Automatic
- Fuel type – Electric
- Seats – 5
- Body type – SUV
- Length – around 4.2 meters long mid-size SUV
- The powertrain is expected to be 350V
- Wheels – Alloy
- Electric motor – 130bhp
- Battery pack and range- Mahindra’s electric XUV400 is expected to offer an ARAI-certified range of about 450km. While there are no technical specifications available, it can be expected to have 2-battery options keeping its performance similar to the Tata Nexon EV and Nexon EV Max.
As there this no official news yet about the specifications like power, range, and battery capacity of Mahindra XUV400 EV, it is benchmarked against its rivals, mainly Tata Nexon EV and Nexon EV Max.
|Parameters||Nexon EV||Nexon EV Max|
|ARAI – claimed range||312km||437km|
At the expo, Mahindra revealed the platform MESMA (Mahindra electric scalable and modular architecture) on which the XUV400 EV will be built.
Mahindra XUV400 EV colours
This electric SUV is expected to come in 4 colours- Aquamarine, Sun Barsat Orange, Red Rage, and Pearl White.
Mahindra XUV400 EV reviews
People have become increasingly interested in electric vehicles as petrol prices keep increasing. After the expo, many seemed interested in this electric SUV. An enthusiast said, “I would describe this as a tasteful and futuristic design. Usually, companies overdo the design elements, making the car look very clunky. But Mahindra XUV400 EV has a gorgeous design. The white color brings a premium look with its futuristic-looking blue accents. The design accentuates the interiors having black, white, and blue trends. Space under the hood is very practical. This seems to provide the best driving range. Can’t wait for the launch.” Many have described the car to be a great family car.
Mahindra XUV400 EV competitors
As mentioned before, the Mahindra XUV400 EV will come in two variants- regular and long-range versions. The lower version will compete with the present Nexon EV (real-world range- 266km), and the long-range version will compete with MG ZS EV (range- 340 km) & Hyundai Kona Electric (range- 450 km).