At the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2023, Apple made several software and hardware announcements including the much-anticipated iOS 17, a 15-inch MacBook Air, a new M2 Ultra chip, the Apple Vision Pro AR headset, macOS Sonoma, watchOS 10, and much more. It was also possibly the longest WWDC keynote but we’ve rounded up all the announcements from the event.
WWDC 2023: Everything Apple announced
- Apple says iOS 17 is a significant update that enhances communication features in the Phone app, FaceTime, and Messages.
- It also simplifies sharing with AirDrop and offers more intelligent input to enhance typing speed and accuracy.
- The latest iOS 17 update has introduced a new feature to FaceTime that allows users to send audio and video messages. This feature comes in handy when the person being called is unavailable, as users can now leave a message that can be accessed and enjoyed at a later time.
- With the release of iOS 17, Messages has received major updates. These updates include a brand-new stickers experience that features new emoji stickers.
- Additionally, users can now create Live Stickers by extracting subjects from photos.
- Live Stickers can be enhanced with effects by users, and a dedicated drawer has been added to the keyboard for convenient access to all of a user’s stickers on iOS.
- You can read about iOS 17 here in detail.
15-inch MacBook Air
- There’s now a 15-inch MacBook Air that is powered by the M2 chipset.
- The 15-inch MacBook Air offers a 15.3-inch Liquid Retina display, and it has an impressive battery life of up to 18 hours.
- It is equipped with a six-speaker sound system along with a port for MagSafe charging, two Thunderbolt ports for accessory connection, and support for up to a 6K external display.
- Additionally, it has a 3.5mm headphone jack so you can plug in your headphones.
- The MacBook Air is available in four finishes, namely Midnight, Starlight, Space Gray, and Silver and starts at Rs 1,34,900 and Rs 1,24,900 for education.
M2 Ultra chip
- The M2 Ultra is a recently developed system on a chip (SoC) that significantly enhances the performance of the Mac and serves as the final addition to the M2 family.
- It utilises Apple’s UltraFusion technology to connect two M2 Max chips, resulting in doubled performance.
- Additionally, it is built using a second-generation 5-nanometer process. The chipset is comprised of 134 billion transistors, which is 20 billion more than the M1 Ultra.
- Its unified memory architecture can accommodate a maximum memory capacity of 192GB, which is a significant improvement of 50 percent compared to the M1 Ultra.
- Additionally, it boasts a memory bandwidth of 800GB/s, which is twice that of M2 Max.
- The M2 Ultra boasts a faster CPU that is 20 percent more powerful than its predecessor, the M1 Ultra.
- It also has a larger GPU that can perform up to 30 percent faster and a Neural Engine that is up to 40 percent faster.
- The media engine of the chip has double the capabilities of M2 Max, which results in faster ProRes acceleration.
- According to the tech giant, the M2 Ultra has brought about significant advancements, elevating the performance of the Mac to an entirely new level.
Apple Vision Pro
- The Apple Vision Pro is said to be a spatial computer that combines digital content with the real world, providing a seamless experience for users to stay connected with others while remaining present.
- The Vision Pro app offers an endless canvas that can expand beyond the limits of a standard display.
- It also features a 3D user interface that can be controlled through natural and intuitive inputs such as voice, hands, and eyes.
- Vision Pro incorporates visionOS, the first-ever spatial operating system. With this technology, users can engage with digital content as if it were physically present in their surroundings.
- Vision Pro features a dual-display system with an ultra-high-resolution display containing 23 million pixels.
- Additionally, it features custom Apple silicon in a dual-chip design, providing users with an immersive experience that feels like it’s happening in real time.
- With the release of iPadOS 17, users can now enjoy enhanced options for customizing their Lock Screen and engaging with widgets.
- Significant updates have been made to Messages, which now include a new stickers experience.
- Additionally, users are now able to leave FaceTime video and audio messages.
- With the introduction of interactive charts, the Health app is now available on iPad. Additionally, HealthKit allows developers to design unique experiences specifically for the iPad display.
- The Lock Screen gallery offers a variety of wallpapers that will look great on the iPad’s large screen.
- Users can also customize the appearance of the date and time by selecting from a range of expressive font styles and colors.
- Additionally, users can create their own unique designs by combining their favorite emojis and colors.
- With the introduction of Live Activities on iPadOS, users can now conveniently keep track of real-time events directly from their Lock Screen.
- This feature enables users to stay updated on various activities such as sports games, travel schedules, or food delivery orders.
- With the release of iPadOS 17, widgets have become interactive, enabling users to complete tasks with a simple tap.
- Apple showcased macOS Sonoma, the newest iteration of their advanced desktop operating system. This update includes a variety of features that enhance the overall Mac user experience.
- With the latest update, users have the ability to add widgets directly onto their desktops. These widgets can be easily interacted with through a simple click. Additionally, thanks to Continuity, users can access the vast array of iPhone widgets on their Mac.
- macOS Sonoma introduces new features to enhance video conferencing, such as Presenter Overlay, which positions the presenter over the shared content, and Reactions, which adds cinematic-quality gesture-triggered video effects for a more engaging remote presentation experience.
- Safari has received noteworthy updates that enhance the web browsing experience. Profiles allow users to keep their browsing separate for different topics or projects, while web apps offer quicker access to frequently visited websites.
- The gaming experience has been enhanced with the addition of Game Mode, fresh and thrilling game titles, and a game porting toolkit that simplifies the process for game developers to bring more games to Mac.
- On Mac, widgets have been enhanced to be more robust and tailored to individual preferences. The desktop allows users to place widgets and easily access the widget gallery to find their preferred ones.
- It includes improved video conferencing capabilities that let users share and present their work efficiently on any video conferencing platform.
- With the release of watchOS 10, Apple Watch users can enjoy a revamped experience that allows for easy access to information through redesigned apps, a new Smart Stack feature that displays relevant widgets when necessary, and new watch faces.
- It allows cyclists to enjoy new metrics such as Workout Views and Bluetooth connectivity for speed sensors, power meters, and cadence sensors.
- On the other hand, hikers can benefit from new Compass Waypoints and Maps capabilities to enhance their outdoor experience.
- The Mindfulness application provides supplementary resources to aid in the maintenance of mental well-being.
- WatchOS 10 features redesigned apps that offer more information at a glance and new navigation options for quick access to content.
- The display of Apple Watch apps such as Weather, Stocks, Home, Maps, Messages, World Clock, and others has been enhanced to provide more easily accessible information.
- Apple has made it easier to track daily movement with the Activity app on Apple Watch and the Fitness app on iPhone. The apps now offer more details, improved sharing options, a redesigned trophy case, and tips from Apple Fitness+ trainers.
- The latest version of watchOS, watchOS 10, includes two new watch faces that are designed to be both artistic and cheerful. These new faces are called Palette and Snoopy.
- The Palette face showcases time through a diverse range of colors, utilizing three separate and overlapping layers. As time progresses, the colors on the display shift accordingly.
- The latest tvOS 17 includes a redesigned Control Center and other improvements that enhance the user’s experience and improve compatibility with iPhones.
- The Apple TV 4K allows users to access Apple TV+ and various popular streaming apps with high-quality picture and audio. Additionally, it offers access to Apple Music, Apple Fitness+, and Apple Arcade on the largest screen in the home.
- With the new Control Center on Apple TV, users can conveniently access important settings and information throughout their entire Apple TV experience.
- The system status and active profile are now visible on Control Center. Additionally, Control Center provides further useful information based on the user’s activity.
- The latest update enhances the smooth connection between Apple TV and iPhone by enabling users to locate their Siri Remote.
- Users have the option to access the Apple TV remote through Control Center on their iPhone in order to locate their Siri Remote (2nd generation or later).
Mac Studio and Mac Pro
- The latest addition to Apple’s product line includes the Mac Studio and Mac Pro, which are touted as the most powerful Macs ever created.
- The Mac Studio now offers the M2 Max and M2 Ultra models, which provide improved performance and connectivity while maintaining a sleek and compact design.
- Apple says that the Mac Studio is up to 6 times faster than the most powerful Intel-based 27-inch iMac and up to 3 times faster than the Mac Studio with M1 Ultra from the previous version.
- The Mac Pro has been updated with M2 Ultra, which combines Apple’s powerful chip with PCIe expansion for enhanced performance and versatility.
- The new Mac Pro boasts a speed that is three times faster than its predecessor, which was based on Intel technology.
- The Mac Studio with M2 Ultra and Mac Pro are equipped with up to 192GB of unified memory, surpassing the memory capacity of even the most advanced workstation graphics cards. This allows them to handle demanding workloads that other systems are unable to process.
- Apple has recently released the new Mac Pro, which marks the completion of the Mac transition to Apple silicon. This addition, along with the other pro systems from Apple, provides users with the most powerful and capable lineup of pro products ever offered by the company.
- You can now place your order for Mac Studio and Mac Pro, and they will be available starting from Tuesday, June 13th.
New privacy and security features
- Apple unveiled its latest privacy and security advancements, which include significant upgrades to Safari Private Browsing, Communication Safety, and Lockdown Mode, along with enhancements to app privacy.
- Apple also unveiled new features that prioritize privacy and security, such as Check In, NameDrop, and Live Voicemail.
- The introduction of an embedded Photos picker enables users to selectively share particular photos with applications while maintaining the confidentiality of the remainder of their photo library.
- Users are provided with additional details about the information they will be sharing when apps request access to their entire photo library. They may also receive periodic reminders of their decision.
- Certain websites append additional details to their URLs to monitor users’ activities on other websites. The links shared by users in Messages and Mail will continue to function as usual, even after removing the associated information.
- The Sensitive Content Warning feature is designed to prevent adult users from viewing unwanted nude images and videos.
- This feature is available in various applications, including Messages, AirDrop, FaceTime video messages, and the Phone app when receiving a Contact Poster.
- Users have the option to turn on the feature in their Privacy & Security settings.