- Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 arrives with major AI and GPU performance gains.
- The chip is based on a 4nm process and is only 15 percent better in CPU speeds compared to its predecessor.
- Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 phones are right around the corner.
Qualcomm has brought its new mid-range smartphone chipset, christened Snapdragon 7 Gen 3. It is made on a 4nm process like its predecessor and offers 15 percent faster CPU performance and a 50 percent more powerful GPU. The new chip claims even faster AI capabilities with its built-in neural engine. A few smartphone companies have already come forward teasing the imminent launch of Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 phones.
Follow us on WhatsApp, Click to Join
Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 specifications
- Make and model: Qualcomm mentions the Snapdragn 7 Gen 3 (with model number SM7550-AB) is based on a 4nm processing node, but doesn’t specify if it is manufactured on TSMC or Samsung Foundry.
- CPU: Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 has a 1+3+4 design consisting of a prime core clocked at 2.6GHz frequency, three performance cores running at 2.4GHz and four efficiency cores operating at 1.8GHz clock speed. This setup is said to offer a 15 percent improved performance and 20 percent improved power efficiency. This will be bolstered by up to 16GB of LPDDR5T RAM at 3200MHz speed and UFS 3.1 storage standard.
- NPU: The in-built Hexagon NPU is said to be 60 percent faster in AI and machine learning processes than what its precursor could offer.
- GPU: The chipmaker vaunts the Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 can render 50 percent faster graphics and is backed by Snapdragon Elite Gaming goodies like Qualcomm Game Quick Touch and Adreno HDR Fast Blend.
- Display: This chip can power up to 4K 60Hz displays or WFHD+ screens at 168Hz refresh rate. There is also support for HDR formats including HDR10+, Dolby Vision, and UltraHDR. The visuals will be aided by Spatial Audio from Snapdragon Sound.
- Optics: Qualcomm equips the SoC with its proprietary Spectra triple ISP that claims to support up to 200MP primary camera and video shooting ability of up to 4K HDR video at 60 frames per second. This chip will also allow phones to simultaneously use all three camera sensor inputs and stitch together an AI Remosaic output. Even videos will be enhanced by AI Video Retouch functionality.
- Connectivity: Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 brings support for the Snapdragon X63 5G Modem-RF system, Qualcomm FastConnect 6700 for Wi-Fi 6/6E, Bluetooth 5.3 (aptX Voice, aptX Lossless and aptX Adaptive encoding), and NavIC.
Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 phones availability
Honor and Vivo have announced they will be launching phones running on Snapdragon 7 Gen 3 as early as this month.