- WhatsApp messages sent to individual or group chats can be deleted with ‘Delete for Everyone’ feature
- The feature allows the sender to remove messages from the platform in a stipulated time
- Recipients can’t view deleted WhatsApp messages unless they use a workaround
WhatsApp, as you may know, has ‘Delete for Everyone’ feature that revokes the messages ‘mistakenly’ sent to a recipient. The feature allows users to delete WhatsApp messages within a stipulated time, leaving the receiver with the banner ‘This message was deleted’ to read unless s/he is using this workaround. While WhatsApp doesn’t have an official feature that allows you to read deleted WhatsApp, you can always seek help from third-party apps. There are several apps in the Android marketplace Google Play Store that clones the WhatsApp messages before they’re deleted. Unfortunately, you can’t read deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone just yet.
WhatsApp allows you to delete messages up to 13 hours, 8 minutes, and 16 seconds after sending. After that, the option will be disabled and you’ll only be able to delete the messages for yourself – the recipient will still be able to read, copy, and forward the message.
How to delete WhatsApp messages:
- Long press the WhatsApp message you want to revoke/ delete
- Tap on the Delete icon you see at top of the screen
- You’ll get a message with three options: ‘Delete For Me’, ‘Cancel’, and ‘Delete For Everyone’
- Select the appropriate option and the message will be removed
However, the feature is not foolproof and you can still read the deleted WhatsApp messages from the notification log on an Android phone using this hack. For that, the message needs to generate a notification. This may not happen when chat is open or you were active at the time when the message was received.
How to read deleted WhatsApp messages on your Android smartphone
As stated above, WhatsApp doesn’t have a built-in feature that allows you to read a deleted message. You’ll have to download a third-party app.
- Go to Google Play Store and download an app that can keep a tab on notification history. We would recommend Notisave app as it has the most number of downloads and respectable reviews.
- After the app is installed, grant all necessary permissions. The Notisave app asks users to give access to read notifications, photos, media, and files, and toggle the auto-start option.
- Once that’s done, the app will start keeping a log of every notification you’ve received, including WhatsApp messages.
- After this even if the sender deletes the WhatsApp messages, you’ll be able to read them via the Notisave app. This doesn’t change the nature of the message on WhatsApp though.
- Additionally, Notisave gives you the option to respond to messages without leaving the app.
- The app also comes in handy to read the notifications you’ve accidentally swiped away.
Even though you can recover the deleted WhatsApp messages, there are a few drawbacks of the app. You’ll have to bear ads if you’re using the free version of Notisave app – the paid version starts at Rs 65 a month. Apart from this, the app can only recover messages in simple text. Deleted media files, including GIFs, images, and videos, cannot be recovered or retrieved, but you can avoid that by toggling the “automatically save images to gallery” option from WhatsApp’s settings menu. This will store media files, at least from the saved contacts, locally in the storage.