Looking for ways to update Aadhaar card online? Here’s an article that can help you. UIDIA allows users to update Aadhaar card online using Self Service Update Portal (SSUP); however, there is a catch. You can only update name, address, date of birth, and gender online. For all other services like updating mobile number, email, and biometrics such as fingerprints, iris, and photograph, users will have to visit nearest Aadhaar’s permanent enrolment centre with supporting documents. Additionally, to update Aadhaar online, you must have your mobile number registered. If you have that base covered, follow the steps below to update Aadhaar card online.
Things to keep in mind before you proceed to update Aadhaar card online
- You can only update your name in an Aadhaar card twice in a lifetime, that too if the changes are minor and include spell correction phonetically the same, changes in the sequence, short form to full form, and name change after marriage.
- Date of birth and gender can be updated on Aadhaar card online only once in a lifetime
- There is no such limit to update address in Aadhaar online
Read more: How to update mobile number in Aadhaar
How to update Aadhaar card online
You can update your name, address, DoB, and gender in Aadhaar card online using these steps
- Visit Self Service Update Portal (SSUP)
- Select ‘Proceed to update Aadhaar’
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and ‘CAPTCHA’ code
- Click ‘Send OTP’ to proceed
- Enter one-time password sent to your registered mobile number with Aadhaar and hit ‘Login’
- Select the field you wish to update online from the following screen. You have the option to select multiple fields. Language, mobile number and email options are temporarily disabled from the Self Service Update portal. You’ll have to visit Aadhaar Seva Kendra or enrolment centre to avail these update features.
- The limit to update a particular field is written next to it
- After the field(s) is selected, click on ‘Proceed’
- A message will prompt on your screen, which will give you a walkthrough of the process. Click on ‘Yes, I am aware of this’ and select ‘Proceed’.
- Fill out the Aadhaar update/ correction form from the following screen and upload supported documents
- An OTP validation will be performed using your current mobile number to successfully save the update request
- Aadhaar will verify the details before updating them on your database
Read more: How to link PAN with Aadhaar card online
What are the supporting documents?
Supporting documents can be any proof that can validate your claim on Aadhaar update/ correction form. They can be ‘Proof of Identity’, ‘Proof of Relationship’, ‘Proof of Address’, and ‘DOB documents’. To know exactly which documents are required to update Aadhaar online, click here.
How to update address in Aadhaar without address proof
Without address Proof, you can update the address in Aadhaar via validation letter. The validation letter is the consent and authentication of the address verifier (a family member, relative, friends, and landlord) who is willing to let you use their address as proof. UIDAI shall send an Address Validation Letter to the address, which could be used for online update.
- To apply for a validation letter, select the ‘Request for Address Validation’ letter from the same Self Service Update Portal.
- Login with your Aadhaar card and enter the Aadhaar details of the address verifier. A consent message will be sent to your verifier’s registered mobile number/ email ID
- The verifier will have to give consent within stipulated time otherwise the request will be invalid
- Once the consent is given, a validation letter containing a secret code is sent to the address of Address Verifier
- Use that validation code to update your address on Aadhaar card online
How to check Aadhaar update status online
- To check Aadhaar update status, go to Self Service Update Portal again and this time look for ‘Check Status Update’
- Enter your 12 Digits Aadhaar Number, followed by URN/ SRN, which is sent to you via SMS after you’ve applied for the Aadhaar update online
- Fill in CAPTCHA code in the respective box and select ‘Send OTP’
- Feed that OTP in the OTP section and select ‘Check Status’
- The following screen will tell you whether your online Aadhaar update request is in process, completed, or cancelled
How long does it take to get address validation letter?
Aadhaar address validation letter should reach you within 30 days from the date of the submitted request.
What is issue date in Aadhaar card?
Issue date in Aadhaar card is the day on which the unique 16-digit identification number is issued to you. It’s usually written along the left side where the name and address are mentioned on the Aadhaar card.